• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Erik Larson

Sydney

Erik Larson is the author of the two bestselling non-fiction books Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storm, both of which I highly recommend. "Devil" is particularly compelling. It is the account of two completely different figures, an architect and a murderer, in the Columbian Exposition. I am anticipating Erik Larson's coming book and I encourage everyone to become addicted to these books because they are brilliant non-fiction. Any commentary on either book is welcome :)

I read Isaac's storm a few years ago and recommended it as a staff choice when I worked at a bookstore. It certainly opens up your mind to what actually happens during and after a big hurricane. I saw the documentary of Isaac's storm on Discovery Channel a couple of nights ago which was really good too. Must re-read it again one day.

Yes I find Isaac's Storm really interesting because reading the book one would think that the hurricane would have been one of those tragedies that everyone remembers and talks about, but I had never really heard all that much about the Galveston hurricane and definitely nothing about the weatherman who failed to predict it...

Wow, I never heard about that hurrican before either. Reminds me of the first time I heard about the Halifax Explosion - hard to believe it could happen.

I looked up the Halifax Explosion online because I'd never heard much about it, and I'm suprised because similar to the Galveston Hurricane the explosion was an absolutely devestating tragedy, but I'd heard about it only once or twice. Its also interesting that there are parallels between the stories of Isaac Cline and a man named Vince Coleman, who managed to save 700 people on a train bound to Halifax.

I was reminded in different thread of another book I read by him the Naked Consumer, how our private lives become public commodities. It was not quite as good as Devil in the White City but had some interesting information on marketing and privacy.

Consumer espionage, practiced on virtually every American, is one of the nation's most powerful industries, contends former Wall Street Journal journalist Larson in this alarming and compelling expose. According to him, Nielsen nightly ratings alone determine a $10 billion share of the total of $238.7 billion spent in 1990 by U.S. companies on all forms of promotion. Instead of concentrating on offering better goods and services, he charges, companies develop invasive marketing and motivation research to manipulate our needs, values and shopping habits.'' Using data from the Census Bureau, postal and telephone services, banks, hospitals, legal deeds, and political and direct mail lists of all kinds, along with human and electronic spies, marketing experts create psychographics of individuals and groups, which reveal intimate, personal details about ethnicity, past and present income, credit, health, family status and ways of life. This information then serves as the indispensable basis for insidious commercial appeals that exploit consumers' fears, vanity and greed. To avoid critical erosion of our civil liberties, Larson contends, we must control information technology through legislation.

Back