• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Everything is illuminated

words

:) A new author wrote his first novel and now there is going to be a low budget movie off of it. its going to star elijah wood. i'm so happy. i don't know if people have read Everything is illuminated (i think it was one of newyorks bestsellers [but that doesn't say much])

It is about a jewish american boy going to ukraine to find a lady who supposedly saved his grandfather from the war. The boy's name is Jonathan Safran foer. When jonathan goes, he gets a hilarius translator alex (who has a very large *ahem* [as said by alex]) and has a grandfather and a dog named sammy davis jr. jr. (a dog who likes to fondle poor johnathan.)

while the book is hilarius, flashbacks from the past tell the more serious (but still humorous [at times]) story containing his grandfather and other past relatives (great great great great grandfather [I believe]). it is very very good yet very very sad.

I've read it twice and i cried twice the tears i should have (not to discredit the story but I would not like to develop a habit of crying while reading on the bus) I would highly recommend it to anyone breathing. I cannot wait unitl Mr. Foer comes out with another tale.

we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing we are writing
(sorry bout that, it has something to do with the book)

right now im about 40 pages to finish the book, i liked so far, but not as much as i expected (maybe i should got the version on english, because i think im loosing a lot of funny parts due to translation).
but i guess it should make a good movie.

I loved, loved, loved this book!

Glad to see they're making a film of it - all we have to do is hope they don't muck it up.

Do you have a source, or a link, to where you read this?

Cheers

oh gosh, I had this pretty website found but I guess they closed it down. it had barely any info but it was well made. If you google elijah wood or "everything is illuminated movie" you should get some tiny tidbit. afraid its going to be a hard to find movie. elijah is going to be johnathan. i saw some pictures of him (elijah posing as johnathan) running around in a suit... don't know where that comes up, I imagined Johnathan in comfy travel jeans and a ridiculous fanny pack.

:) i'm glad that i see others have read it. I LOVED it too. I think I might read it a third time over. we are writing we are writing. I am reading

the release date its set for august 12 2005
it already has an entry on imdb
in the forums are some links to pics
damn thats some stupid look they chose for johnathan :mad:

also in this page there are some links to interviews with jsf (not about the movie but about the book)

... maybe they used elijah for his great great great great grandfather, (the one with the dead arm that turns girls on) he had a wedding scene.. so that might be a possibility. I imagined his grandfather and great great great whatevers to be like him. ah, i've been imagining the movie in my head for a long time and if they get it wrong i'll be soo disapointed :(

can you imagine being mr. foer?! 20 something, first book published and its SUCH a great book. gosh. i should be more like him.

dont know this is a little disapointing for me :(

if01.jpg

well, johnathan is still young and passionate about his works. if they portray the story incorrectly than i'm pretty sure he would protest. i love that he's so young! we can see his works develop and change ohh but i don't know if he can top what he already has.

have fun finishing the book. i'm walking on eggshells trying not to be a spoiler.

words said:
have fun finishing the book. i'm walking on eggshells trying not to be a spoiler.

apreciate that. but you still can use the spoiler tags [SPOILER ] bla bla bla... [/SPOILER ] (just dont let any space in the boxes)

How can it possibly be low budget if it's starring Elijah Wood?

I must read the book then, before I am forced to watch the movie 8)

somewhat said:
How can it possibly be low budget if it's starring Elijah Wood?

I must read the book then, before I am forced to watch the movie 8)

hello somewhat its the first time i see you, nice to met you
a lot of know artists do low budget and indi films (remember chain of fools?), besides lets just say elijah its not exactly in the 20 million per movie category.

I watched the film this weekend and really, really loved it. It's one of the few films that I liked better than the book, I didn't finish the book but will try to now. I thought everything about the film was beautiful, it was funny, sad and all in all just very touching. I liked all the characters and scenes, I even liked the soundtrack.

Back