• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Evolution

Actually even evolutionists will say it is 'just' a theory :p
Actually, only creationists will use the word "evolutionists", as it's just as nonsensical as calling aerospace engineers "gravitationists"; and no, they won't say that (feel free to give an example if you still maintain that they do). The "just a theory" meme rests on more or less wilful ignorance of the fact that the word "theory" means different things in popular speech and in a scientific context. The "theory of evolution" doesn't mean "we think there might be evolution, but we have no proof of it"; it means "we have found proof that seems to indicate that evolution is going on, and here's the best explanation we can find for it."

If you separate the theory of evolution from the observable facts
You've committed a logical fallacy as the theory of evolution is in fact based on observable facts.

the problem arises when you start comparing it to what actually is, and what isn't (but should be if evolution was true as stated in theory) that the issues arise
Such as? Feel free to be specific.

it is a theory in serious need of revision
It has been revised since Darwin's days to accomodate new findings. Darwin, for instance, didn't know about genetics. Darwin figured out that traits are inherited somehow, but didn't know the mechanism for it. Funnily enough, when Mendel figured that out, it didn't contradict Darwin's findings; it explained them.

or its wrong
Ah, the magic word: this is where I link to Isaac Asimov's The Relativity of Wrong. The neat thing about the scientific method is that it allows for a refining of theory to accomodate new findings without dismissing the previous findings altogether; it's possible to be 99% right and then add another .001. When we disovered the Earth isn't a perfect sphere, we didn't go back to flat earth theory. When we discovered that Newton's theory of gravity isn't perfect, birds didn't fall from the sky.

Instead of defending the status quo why doesn't science try to think outside of the box?
If someone can come up with a better explanation for the evidence, sure. But simply flat-out saying the evidence (which evidence, exactly?) doesn't exist isn't a better explanation; it's the equivalent of slapping your hands over your ears and going "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU".

All it really means is that for 150 years people have refused to think creatively (ha ha!) about the problems NOT explained by the Theory of Evolution in order to come up with better explanations.
Again, such as? And trust me, creationists have been very creative in coming up with ways to dismiss evolution. That's the fun paradox here: thanks to all the people wishing really hard that evolution weren't true, it's probably the single most tested theory in the world. So far, it's held up no matter how many crocoducks people throw at it.

Good grief I'm not a scientist and just plain common sense tells me there are serious inconsistencies between observable reality and the theory.
Feel free to expand. Concrete examples, please.

No known natural mechanism that can be observed to support the process of such change.

The mechanism of natural seletion is in the title of the very first book written about it. Feel free to disprove it, but don't simply claim it doesn't exist. The results of it can be observed in labs, in the fossil record, in DNA (yes), in species diversity... again, find a better explanation for it and we'll see if it holds up, but don't just claim it's non-existent.

Species are distinct.
The theory of evolution doesn't say species aren't distinct at a given point in time; it says they're not static in the long run. They, what's the word... evolve. If you think they are distinct over a long time, find me a rabbit in the cretaceous layers and we'll talk.

There are no genetic or physical 'inbetweeners'
For the sake of argument, let's leave out the fact that evolution is an ongoing process, happening as we speak, which technically means that all life forms are intermediary forms between their predecessors and their successors. Even so, there's tons - no, literally metric tons - of quite physical evidence sitting right in your friendly neighbourhood museum of natural history. Again, find a better explanation for, say, the gradual development of birds' wings if you can, but don't just claim it doesn't exist.

Evolutionists try to paper over this issue by saying macro evolution can't be observed
Again, who says that, exactly? Cite your sources. Since the very phrase "macro evolution" is a creationist dodge to say "OK, we admit that we can no longer deny that evolution is happening, so we'll settle for hoping people can be convinced that it only changes life forms a little bit." Which of course is nonsense; many little bits of change over a long enough time add up (and if they don't, please specify the mechanism that stops them). Positing a division between micro and macro evolution is a bit like saying "OK, I concede that people can run 100 metres, but I refuse to believe that anyone can run a marathon."

And again, it can be observed by looking at the evidence - fossil records and DNA. You can't observe it happening within a single lifetime with the naked eye, obviously, but if we only accepted human witnesses as proof of anything, cops wouldn't bother collecting evidence at crime scenes.

One evolutionary scientist reviewing a book on evolution in a Science magazine ... no creationists involved :)

We cannot identify ancestors or
"missing links," and we cannot
devise testable theories to explain
how particular episodes of
evolution came about. Gee is
adamant that all the popular
stories about how the first
amphibians conquered the dry
land, how the birds developed
wings and feathers for flying, how the dinosaurs went extinct, and how humans evolved from apes are just products of our
imagination, driven by prejudices
and preconceptions.

Bowler, Peter J., Review In Search
of Deep Time by Henry Gee (Free
Press, 1999), American Scientist
(vol. 88, March/April 2000), p. 169.

One evolutionary scientist reviewing a book on evolution in a Science magazine ... no creationists involved :)
(...)
Funny how that quote is a) taken out of context and b) shows up on a bunch of creationist web sites as if it were holy scripture. (I'm not the only one to notice that either.) But OK: you found one quote that says... not what you claimed that "evolutionists" say, but rather that it's impossible to say for sure what exact circumstances led to a certain development (note: not that it's impossible to say the development took place, only the exact cause), which nobody was claiming in the first place, and that the search for one single "missing link" is a ridiculous exercise as, as previously stated, evolution is a process and all forms are intermediary in the long run. (That's another fun part of the debate: every time biologists discover a new fossil that seems to fit in a "gap" in the evolution between two identified species, the creationists respond not by grudgingly admitting that OK, that one works, but by declaring that they now demand TWO "missing links" rather than one.)

But OK, that's one source, if a dodgy one. Please continue posting your own explanation for the evidence. :)

well regardless of where the quote has been used doesn't alter who said it and where it was said and what it says. Honestly that's like saying because some people throw mud that we shouldn't build mud huts with it! In this instance no-one has to throw mud because the people using mud manage to do a pretty good job of recognising the flaws themselves :)

That's another fun part of the debate: every time biologists discover a new fossil that seems to fit in a "gap" in the evolution between two identified species,

rolling my eyeballs ... an eminent evolutionist says that no such thing exists and then you turn around and use it as proof? Don't make me spurt my coffee all over my keyboard with uncontrolled laughter. Please :)

Um, nobody you've quoted has said that there are no gaps anywhere in the evolutionary timeline. Since the fossil record isn't complete, of course there are gaps - though funnily enough, every time a new fossil is discovered, it tends to fit right where the theory of evolution predicts that it would fit. No rabbits in the cretaceous layers yet. And again, the quote doesn't say what you claimed you've heard "evolutionists" say. What the quote says is that, as I've explained three times now, the very notion of one, single, all-explaining "missing link" is a fallacy - set up partly by the people who want to discredit the theory without actually coming up with one of their own aside from "Well, this magic man made a lump of clay and kissed it..."

But once you're done with your coffee, feel free to expand on the claims you've made about your opinions and your non-copypasted objections on where evolution fails and your alternative explanations for the evidence (as well as your reply to Bob's question on what DNA does). I need a drink.

actually I do believe I'm not under any obligation to expand on anything. There are plenty of scientific refutations of evolution and it doesn't take much to look them up. I don't have to convince any one of anything - all it takes is an open mind and about 2 seconds of searching on Google :) Examine the evidence rather than believing what you are told. Text books have been known to be wrong before now.

Fine by me. :) I'll just leave my post up there asking for more concrete examples up there, then, for anyone who's interested; it's very hard to google exactly what evidence it is you're claiming doesn't exist when you're flat-out denying the existence of any evidence at all, despite it being easily available. I'll leave it up to Bob if he's happy with your explanation of how DNA works.

actually I do believe I'm not under any obligation to expand on anything. There are plenty of scientific refutations of evolution and it doesn't take much to look them up. I don't have to convince any one of anything - all it takes is an open mind and about 2 seconds of searching on Google :) Examine the evidence rather than believing what you are told. Text books have been known to be wrong before now.

Thank you beer good, now Meadow337.

Here's my position, The Theory of Evolution is proven and I've put forward the discovery of DNA as my argument.

You're under no obligation to expand on your argument but nevertheless you decided to argue and now you've found yourself faced with a question you've decided not to answer.

I do not consider 'look them up' to be a satisfactory answer, I can find as much Creationist clap-trap as I want without direction thank you very much.

You have also said that you do not agree with Evolution 'just from a logical point of view' I say that asking you what DNA does is merely a logical question...

Step up, I dare you.

My carefully considered position, with probably a great deal more reading and research behind it than yours, is that evolution is not proven. However if you are not even willing to look for information from other scientists (which I have said repeatedly) showing why evolution has failed to prove itself on many different counts, what is there for me to say? Your mind is closed.

My carefully considered position, with probably a great deal more reading and research behind it than yours, is that evolution is not proven. However if you are not even willing to look for information from other scientists (which I have said repeatedly) showing why evolution has failed to prove itself on many different counts, what is there for me to say? Your mind is closed.

I'm not arguing with other scientists (proper scientists that is) I'm arguing with you. I've asked you a simple question and you've refused to answer.

What do you think DNA does?

That is a complex question that will take a considerable amount of explaining and I'm not debating it with you.

If that was the case then there should be other lifeforms with a different DNA sequence in the fossil record.

This statement assumes two things:

1. These other lifeforms would have evolved further than single-celled organisms.

2. DNA fossilizes.

It's a simple question, didn't you once say debate was such fun...

Yes debate is fun but don't make the mistake of assuming I can't see a trap a mile off and refuse to fall in it :p and no that doesn't mean I concede the point. I just don't feel like arguing it :) on the grounds of it being too technical for a fun debate.

Yes debate is fun but don't make the mistake of assuming I can't see a trap a mile off and refuse to fall in it :p and no that doesn't mean I concede the point. I just don't feel like arguing it :) on the grounds of it being too technical for a fun debate.

As DNA is the fundamental part of the whole evolution process if you can't answer the question then logically your argument is over.

Because it only needed to evolve once?

Not quite, the DNA molecule has never been observed forming on it's own in nature or in the lab so if it did form on Earth it is in all probability, the result of a very delicate chemical reaction. Think of Earth as a giant Petri dish, what was it before life formed and what is it now...?

Back