• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Excellent true crime book I read

Fenster

I recently read an excellent, excellent true crime book that I want to recommend. (I know it sounds like I'm gushing, but don't worry, I'm not related to the author nor do I own stock in the publisher. ;) )

The book is In Broad Daylight by Harry N. McLean. It tells the story of a rather brutal, loathsome man named Ken McElroy who lived in a very rural part of Missouri. His whole life he stole livestock and pretty much anything else he could get his hands on from people all over the area. He had several wives and girlfriends, often living with more than one at the same time. He beat and raped these women mercilessly. The families of the women didn't do anything because they were afraid of him. Even the cops were afraid of him. He shot two men at point blank range over arguments that to most people wouldn't warrant a fistfight. Anyone who crossed him, he would harass them mercilessly (most of the stuff he did to harass is illegal today under anti-stalking laws or laws that protect witnesses in court cases.)

I could go into more detail, but that would take away from reading the book.

The point is, one day in 1981 things hit a breaking point, and McElroy was shot to death. In town. On Main Street. In front of more than 40 people. As the title says, in broad daylight.

But here's the kicker - no one has ever been arrested (let alone charged or convicted) for murdering McElroy. The local cops couldn't get people to talk, nor could the state cops. Not even the FBI. Everyone who investigated got the same story - "I was there, but when the shots started I hit the ground. I didn't see nothing."

It's the perfect mix of a fascinating story told by a great author. I don't read a lot of true crime books, but this one had me transfixed. I read it in less than a week, and I would have finished it even sooner if I hadn't had to go to work. I even stayed up late the night before a job interview because I couldn't put the durn thing down.

Back