• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Extract from new novel: CAT KIN

GreenKnight

A snippet from my new fantasy novel for kids, 'Cat Kin'. Some background to this extract: Tiffany and her parents are on their way home from visiting her younger brother Stuart, who is in hospital because of his muscular dystrophy.

From chapter 2:

She blanked out the car ride home. It was like a film she had seen too many times. Mum’s lines went something like, ‘You always make it worse by getting his hopes up,’ and Dad’s character always said, ‘But people get well faster if they believe they will.’ Tiffany was the silent extra no-one ever noticed.
She found proper solitude in her room. It didn’t last.
‘Tiffany,’ Mum called, ‘your kitty is curled up on your clean laundry. Sort it, please.’
Cat and clothes were piled on a kitchen chair. The prophet Muhammad, she knew, had once cut off part of his cloak rather than disturb a sleeping cat. Resigning herself to a less blessed life, she nudged Rufus aside and took the slightly hairy laundry upstairs. Her mood sank lower when she saw her black ballet leotard. Thursday was coming round again. She couldn’t fake a sore toe for the third week in a row. It had taken only a few lessons to unmask ballet as evil. Once she had loved watching ballerinas flit around on television. Now she hated it the way chickens must hate watching eagles. She was too tall, she was too clumsy; her pirouette resembled an out-of-control shopping trolley.
And then she remembered something worse. She had PE tomorrow.
‘Mummy. I think I’ve got a cold coming,’ she sniffed. Mum was preparing dinner.
‘Oh, shame. Do you think you’ll be well enough for school?’
‘’Spect so.’ Tiffany nodded bravely. ‘I don’t think I should do gym though. Can you write me a note?’
‘I don’t hear you sneezing.’ Dad had materialised in the doorway.
‘It’s just a tickle in my throat right now.’
‘A tickle. But it’ll be worse tomorrow?’
‘Yes.’
‘I see.’
Mum already had pen and paper in hand. ‘Who’s it to? Mrs Farmer?’
‘Miss Fuller.’
‘So, let me get this clear.’ Dad stroked his chin. ‘Your little brother is fighting muscular dystrophy on one side and pneumonia on the other, while you are laid low by a sniffle that isn’t even detectable to the outside world... oh, fine, fine, whatever.’ He retreated before Mum’s stare into the safety of the lounge. Mum scribbled the note defiantly and handed it over.
‘Best play it safe,’ she said. ‘After all, you don’t want to have to miss ballet again.’
Ugh. It was like rolling a boulder uphill. ‘Don’t I?’
‘You like ballet!’ Mum tweaked her nose.
Tiffany flinched. ‘I don’t. It’s embarrassing. And I wish you wouldn’t do that.’
‘What’s got into you?’
‘It’s just horrible. My joints don’t even bend right.’
Dad’s low whistle drifted in from the lounge. ‘Funny how these discoveries always come to light after the money’s been spent.’
‘Well.’ Mum mixed gravy in a jug. ‘You should go. Thursdays are Mummy and Daddy time, remember.’
‘Mother! I’m not a baby.’
‘Sorry, sweetheart. It’s not that we want to get rid of you. But we do have a lot on our plate these days. If we know you’re having fun doing something of your own, we can catch our breath once a week. Do you see?’
‘You want to get rid of me.’
Something boiled over on the stove. Mum rushed to it, blowing and mopping.
‘It’s just a Thursday thing, Tiffany,’ she sighed through the steam. ‘Is it so much to ask?’
Tiffany stalked out of the kitchen. ‘I am not doing ballet.’

The local paper crumpled beneath her on the bed. She scoured the Classified columns in rising despair. A watercolour painting club? She might fancy trying that, but none of them met on a Thursday. Girl Guides? Get lost. Junior Fitness Club? PE by another name. And kickboxing was right out. Her annoyance gave way to misery. She was too much of a weed even to give her parents one evening alone. Maybe she could develop an illness herself and get packed off to hospital. No. That was a horrible thing to think.
She turned the page. Hmm, Tae Kwon Do... was that the paper-folding one? She wouldn’t risk it. Tiffany kicked her pillow in frustration.
A ginger missile launched from the top of the wardrobe and splashed down on the duvet by her head. Rufus looked peeved at being granted such a soft landing. Startled only for a second, Tiffany hugged him to her. Here was a real gymnast, martial artist, ballet dancer, you name it. He could have done any class he liked (well, maybe not the painting club). Sad, she gazed into his amber eyes. It seemed that the only talent she had was loving her cat.
She glanced down at the newspaper. There was tiny advert in the corner that she hadn’t noticed before. It was shaped like a pyramid.
Cat Kin
Explore your feline spirit
Cat lovers and the curious all welcome​
That sounded more like it! Not a stupid PE lesson. A proper club. People like her talking about their pets, sharing tips, swapping pictures maybe. She did wonder why the meeting place was Clissold Leisure Centre, but only for a moment. It was probably just a good place to hire a room.
Rufus was testing his claws on the newspaper. She tore out the ad before he could.

GreenKnight - I liked your writing. :) It wasn't patronising like some writing for children can be.

She blanked out the car ride home. It was like a film she had seen too many times. Mum’s lines went something like, ‘You always make it worse by getting his hopes up,’ and Dad’s character always said, ‘But people get well faster if they believe they will.’ Tiffany was the silent extra no-one ever noticed.

I liked this beginning, especially the sentence about Tiffany being the silent extra. It speaks volumes about how she is feeling with nearly all the attention being on her brother.

She found proper solitude in her room. It didn’t last.

It was a bit hard to tell whether you're talking about generally, or in the here and now. On re-reading, I took it to mean the latter. If that's right, I think it would be clearer if you added something like "Once home, she found proper solitude..."

How old is Tiffany? She mostly seems quite mature for a child with the observations she makes, but then she says "Mummy", which is quite childish. (Was this just because she was wheedling to get out of PE?)

Some of the dialogue didn't sound natural to me, though I can't say why. :confused:

Anyway, your writing caught my interest and made me want to know more. :)

(BTW, do you read Pratchett? It's just the use of the name Tiffany and a certain style of writing in some places reminded me a bit of some of his work for children. I mean that as a compliment, by the way!)

Thanks Halo!

How old is Tiffany? She mostly seems quite mature for a child with the observations she makes, but then she says "Mummy", which is quite childish. (Was this just because she was wheedling to get out of PE?)

Yes, wheedling it is! (Notice how and why she says 'mother!' later.) I don't think I ever state her age explicitly in the book... but she is 13

Some of the dialogue didn't sound natural to me, though I can't say why.

Any phrases in particular?

(BTW, do you read Pratchett? It's just the use of the name Tiffany and a certain style of writing

Yes I do read him :) ... though I'd forgotten he too has a heroine called Tiffany. My Tiffany's name comes from a different source... there is a reason for it but it's not essential to know what that is ;-)

Thanks for reading, anyway! (You can see more on my site if you're so inclined).

Wow, I love it. Tiffany is very easy to identify with, especially for me, since my brother was in and out of hospitals because he has osteogenesis imperfecta. It's enjoyable being inside her head, and she makes perfect sense. Very three-dimensional; I applaud you and I hope this gets published because I want to buy it.

Hey, Green Knight! I looked for your book on Amazon.com earlier today, and I found it. I was going to buy it, but I have to buy a certain amount of stuff there to get a decent shipping price...so I decided to look at Border's. I couldn't find it anywhere there. Once I get my Sandman graphic novels finished (they should arrive on the 11th and I read fast), I will probably order two more of them--and your book--from Amazon. I can't wait to read it. I'll tell you what I think.

Hi ValkyrieRaven88 -

Ah yes, the shipping costs... :rolleyes:

Not to use this forum to advertise or anything, but I suppose I can offer guidance if you've already decided you might buy it: you can find it on Lulu dot com by searching, where you get cheaper shipping (if you are in the USA).

Another point of note: it's not going to be available for much longer as I recently got an offer from Faber to publish it 'properly'. I will therefore be withdrawing my self-published version from sale - it will disappear off the radar in about a month, only to reappear in shops in about a year's time I shouldn't wonder. It may not make it to the USA at all for a while though.

Thanks for your support!

GreenKnight said:
Another point of note: it's not going to be available for much longer as I recently got an offer from Faber to publish it 'properly'.

Wow! Congratulations! :) I hope you will remember us here when you are rich and famous! ;)

Halo said:
Wow! Congratulations! :) I hope you will remember us here when you are rich and famous! ;)

:D Thanks! Riches most unlikely and fame the same (I will be keeping the day job!) but obviously I'm pretty delighted as it has been a long slog. It was roughly 13 years ago that I submitted my first attempt at a novel to a publisher; five different books and literally countless submissions and rejection letters later, the brick wall eventually budges just a tiny bit. Though I try not to think of all the things I might have had time for if I hadn't been so obstinate... :eek:

Nick: so you didn't bother with trying to get an agent? You just went along the unsolicited manuscripts route? If so, that brings hope to all us of that are currently ploughing through writing novels!

Halo said:
Nick: so you didn't bother with trying to get an agent? You just went along the unsolicited manuscripts route?

Actually I did go the agent route! That was relatively straightforward - out of nine submissions I got two offers of representation, subject to certain revisions which (of course!) I made. However, the agent got no results at all for a year, at which point I sort of gave up and decided to self-publish. But this was a good move, because I eventually managed to get a review from Amanda Craig, and my agent re-submitted the book in the light of this. And an offer finally appeared.

In short, yes... it is about twelve billion times more arduous than I ever imagined, and I never thought it would be easy. But I guess you just have to knuckle under and get on with it!

I was thinking about self-publishing, but it's so EXPENSIVE. I'm trying to save up to go to London and Paris, and I need to be thinking about college...anyway, I was considering getting an agent and trying that out. I mean, they don't get paid until you do, right? ^^
I have my first novel almost finished, but from what I've heard/read, unless you get someone famous to endorse it or whatever, it's hard to sell. So unless I really suck up to Stephen King and Anne Rice, I'm probably stuck.
Anyway, I was planning on buying more stuff soon, so I was going to include Cat Kin in that package. I'd like to get it before you discontinue it. And if I don't do it, I'll be waiting to see it in the US. Hope you do well...then I can say I know a famous writer even if I'm not one.

ValkyrieRaven88: I will say two things to you about self-publishing.

1) There is actually a place you can do it more or less free of charge. Lulu is a print-on-demand service which means books are only paid for as they are printed. In theory (i.e. if you don't buy any copies yourself!) you never spend a cent/penny. You only pay for the copies you order, just like buying any ordinary book. That's what I did with Cat Kin.

2) DON'T do it. At least not yet. I wouldn't have considered it at all if I hadn't got an agent first (thus giving me a certain amount of confidence that the book was commercially viable). According to your profile you're younger than the age I was when I started writing, and even Mary Shelley was older when she wrote Frankenstein. In short, (to quote Treebeard) Don't Be Hasty.

Now is the best time, the practice time. Write book after book and by all means send them to agents and publishers, but actively expect them to come back with rejection letters (that say nothing useful). If you're still really pleased with a book after it's done all the rounds, then is the time to POD it (print-on-demand) or post it as an eBook. I am glad I did not know about POD ten years ago (it didn't exist!) because then I wouldn't have tried half so hard banging my head against the brick wall.

Mind you, if I'd known back then what I know now, I expect I would have given up. Your best friend is Denial. You just keep reminding yourself, 'I am never happier than when writing a story that is going well.' And then it doesn't matter if it gets published or not.

Thanks for the tips! I am planning on submitting a short story or two to a magazine called Asimov's, which I think I can manage, and maybe a few to Cicada magazine too. As for the novels, they need a lot more work.
I've been writing since I was in fifth grade. Of course my stuff stunk back then, but it gave me experience to build off of and flesh prior characters out. I'm happy I did it...and it's all thanks to online fanfiction. ^^ I originally started writing that and started to get upset by the limitations I had to place on the characters' backgrounds. So I used personality traits from certain characters, scrapped some things and began to develop my own stories. (And renamed everyone of course.)

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I've been writing since I was in fifth grade. Of course my stuff stunk back then, but it gave me experience to build off of and flesh prior characters out. I'm happy I did it...

Exactly. Over the years I've come to treat it like piano practice (drummed into me as a child; sadly I no longer play very much!). You can't expect to sit down and come out with a concert performance right away, or even in the first few years. You just play more and more until you either get good, or (in my case) give up!
All the 'sensational first novels' you see published are nothing of the kind - they are all more like the writer's third or fourth novel, or whatever. Someone once remarked that you could say that Edison failed to invent a workable light bulb 250 times. But because he tried 251 times, he is known as the man who succeeded.

Good luck with those short stories!

I ordered it not long ago, but for some reason it came early. Ah, well. I'm half-way through it, on page 114, and I absolutely LOVE it. I had to force myself to stop reading and do my homework and go to bed, but I should finish it within two days.

Back