• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fairy tale suggestions

Concord

Hi everyone---I’m looking for a fairy tale /fantasy that kids ages 10-12 would read in school. Preferably something written long before Harry Potter or anything else contemporary. And if possible, something that deals with the subject of fear.

Any help would be appreciated. Also if there’s a similar thread on this forum please link me to it. Thanks!

Sorry, I have a lot of fairy tale/fairy tale adaptations on my shelves, but not sure if they fit your needs. Let me know if you want a few recs anyway....

Well, the works of the Brothers Grimm are the obvious thing that pops to mind when fairy tales are mentioned, Aesop's Fables too. But Grimm's are darker than most people expect. That would be good for the kids, its the parents you'd likely have problems with.

I know some schools get away with the Chronicles of Narnia, and those are great fantasy books to introduce kids to, but again, parents have issues.

Are you looking for something for a class or just examples along those lines? I imagine anything in these genres you get will cause contention... my school had a lot of problems with that.

I think it's more science fiction but Heir Apparent is a pretty cool book... Vivian Vande Veld has some neat fantasy/ horror... mild horror stuff.

Original Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. Much more adventurous than the movie. My kids really enjoyed the book. And there is fear, much fear from Pinocchio and his father, Geppetto.

Can I suggest Enid Blyton? She's a British author who wrote books (many of them fairy tales) for children. I used to read her books when I was in grade school.

Ivan Krylov's Fables (Not exactly fairy tales but somewhat similar to Aesop)

You can find his fables online.

Back