• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy or SF book with hieroglyphic puzzle wall?

oregonjade

OK, this is one of those vague memories...

a book with one scene where the female heroine has to figure out a puzzle wall in a cave. I believe it had sliding pieces. They (I think a male? Possibly injured? Or two people?) may have traveled through that passage to a abandoned city where there was a spaceship of some sort... or something. And the city may have lit itself, or powered itself, or been alive in some way...

At the time, I was reading a lot of Eric Flint, David Drake, Dave Freer, Mercedes Lackey (though I don't think it was hers), and Elizabeth Peters... it might very well be one of these authors or someone similar.

I was drawing a complete blank on this book, and then I suddendly remembered: this scene is at the end of David Brin's Glory Season. This is a very good book about a "lost world" ruled by women, twin teenage girls who are trying to find a job to support themselves, and a (human) male who is sent to learn about their world.

Hmmm. That one looks interesting, but definitely isn't it. I'm pretty sure there aren't parents involved in this one...

Back