• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite classic film

I have 4

Rebecca, because they did such a wonderful job capturing the novel on the film. The characters were dead on, and Mrs. Danvers in the film is pure evil.

The Women - because it's campy and wonderful. Roz Russell is hysterical.

Because of Mrs. Russell I also have to add Auntie Mame. It's just perfect

Finally, The Children's Hour. Superb acting by everyone. I think it's just chilling.

Honorable mention goes to The Bad Seed.

Rebecca - though I've never read the book I love the film. Everytime I see the movie I believe the house is alive...I don't know why but it makes me watch the movie over and over.

An Affair to Remember - I think it's a beautiful story with incredibly talented actors (one of which is one of my fave...Cary Grant) and I think it's ahead of its time...my opinion.

Gaslight - Charles Boyer portrayal of an ambitious husband trying to drive his loving wife insane so that he can take the treasure her aunt left her is excellent.

A couple of my favorites:

The Fallen Idol: I loved the way it's obliquely filmed and how the characters are built from from the child's eyes.

Great Expectations (1934 version): simply the most terrifying, visually arresting movie I can remember seeing as a kid. Plus who can get enough of Alec Guiness and John Mills?

novella said:
Great Expectations (1934 version): simply the most terrifying, visually arresting movie I can remember seeing as a kid. Plus who can get enough of Alec Guiness and John Mills?

So I'm not the only person to have seen this Lean masterpiece? (and one of the best adaptations of a book to film ever)

Have so many old black and white favourites I'd be here listing them for quite some time so I'll keep it brief. Casablanca stands out as one of the biggest onscreen romances of all time. There are plenty of powerful films that are forgotten about
- 12 Angry Men is clever in so many ways. No big locations or special effects. Just a great cast with a great script
- A lot of Wilder's work (The Lost Weekend, Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard) goes unnoticed though his best work is on a par with Hitchcock

Roz Russell in Auntie Mame. I can nver get enough of her. Oh, and I have two copies of The War of the Roses.

Gone With the Wind would be my favorite classic film. I fell in love with a Barbie doll dressed in Scarlett's honeymoon gown and my mother also purchased the novel for me. I got the movie for Christmas that year. My obsession still continues. The setting of the time during the Civil War is perhaps one of the main attractions of it for me.

Some of my favorite classic films:

An Affair to Remember - I love Cary Grant (one of my fave actors).

Some Like It Hot - Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis are the perfect pair to crack you up and make you laugh so hard...

The Major and the Minor - with my favorite actress from Hollywood's golden era, Ginger Rogers!!!

Sunset Boulevard, because it captures many facets of people's natures perfectly on a grim setting, and leaves you thinking how close limit is between madness and sanity, ambition and corruption; has wonderful performances (beyong my long time crush with William Holden), and the photography, the costumes, etc, work to enhance the claustrophobic atmosphere, while not being over the top either.
Others by Billy Wilder: Sabrina, Some like it hot, Double Indemnity

Gone with the wind: The Civil War setting is very well done, the historical details are very accurate and the story and performances are flawless.

A streetcar named Desire: Marlon Brando and Vivian Leigh-should I say more? Outstanding acting and lots of chemistry onscreen on a very well written play.

The ladykillers-Lovely dark humor comedy

I Vitelloni-I have no idea what's the translation of this comedy/drama of the 1950s of Fellini about a small town group of friends who do nothing with their lives (therefore the title which would be something like The Lazy ones) and become disapointed with the life outside their city. It's bitersweet and portraits very well life in Italy's small cities.
Other italian: Il Sorpasso, by Dino Risi

Then, I love pretty much anything by James Cagney or Bette Davis :)

Im reading "Gone With The Wind" at the moment and plane to see the movie when I've finished the book. Looks like I have something to look forward to:)

I haven't answered the question because I haven't seen so many classic movies, so I haven't got a favourite.

Back