• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Eye Candy/Fluff authors

Pulbob

What is your favorite Eye Candy/Fluff type authors and book series?

Personally, many of these are my favorite authors/books as well, but I like the easy reading lots of magic heroic quest doom of the world type stuff. Hey, Im also a 80's hair band music lover- what can I say?

What can be considered Fluff or great reading? Sometimes I find the deeper and more complex the writing, the more tedious and slow paced it becomes. Better quality, yes, but I enjoy the fast paced easy action fun.

My list- but not my favorite book list, just a list of good fluff in no particular order.

Terry Goodkind
David Eddings (Hated all the Silverhawk? books)
Terry Brooks (Everything!)
Dennis L. McKiernan (Iron Tower/Silver call duology)
RA Salvatore (especially the Demon War series)
Wies & Hickman - Deaths Gate Cycle/Rose of the Prophet/Darksword/First two Dragonlance trilogies)

I would agree with you with David Eddings, for sure. You always know it'll be a light, but entertaining read. (And it's Sparhawk, BTW ;) )

Terry Goodkind probably fits into the same category, but takes his books far far too seriously! He seems to think they're a real magnus opus...

Hmmm, as to some of my own fluff authors, I would say:

Juliet E McKenna - fastpaced adventure
Chris Bunch - really light fantasy adventure
James Clemens - no thought required at all! :)

Sparhawk! I knew it was something like that. Thinking about that series makes me shiver. LOL

What I like about Terry Goodkind, is the way he tries to mess with your head. Your right, the Richard/Kahlen think is way overdawn, and I would rather just see them fighting and throwing out gobs of magic- lol- but thats just me. I think Terry also has some interesting concepts, but your right about there seriousness of it and the opus thing.

I hanvt heard of the others you mentioned, but I am gonna go check them out! Thanks

Michael Stackpole's "Battletech" novels probably rate high in this "category" (brilliant adverse of say, guilty pleasures!) and Timothy Zahn's Star Wars novels.

Pulbob said:
Hey, Im also a 80's hair band music lover- what can I say?

I never could quite duplicate the "Flock of Seagulls" hairdo, but I had the "Duran Duran" mullet action working!!!

I had the Joe Elliot Mullet while listening to Cinderella while reading Terry Brooks kinda thing going! -LOL

Jennifer roberson's Cheysuli series is a pretty fun read. I like how she uses the shapeshifter element and fantasy. Not to deep, but fun with a different spin on things

Hi Guys

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Chronicles are a lot of fun.
I liked Eddings, but it's been a few years since I've read any of his stuff. Pretty much stopped after the Mallorean Chronicles. I just started on the Discword books, (Terry Pratchett I think -- but I may be wrong). They're looking very promising.

DEFINITELY HAIR METAL ROCKS!!! (Bon Jovi anyone? Kiss? Whitesnake? Cinderella? Poison? A terrific guilty pleasure.) It always cracks me up when they do those "Eighties at 8:00" type programs and just skip right past the 3 or 4 years where hair metal was on top of the charts. (Hmnn, we'll play a couple songs from 1981, 1982... now something from 1989!) ;)

(Digging out her old CDs and heading toward the stereo).

David Gemmel has some good books. Very simple but pretty well written, fast paced and actionfilled.

I cant stand Goodkinds "political" preaching. He should concentrate on writing fantasy instead of making a fool of himself by trying to say something "important".

That gives me a creepy hair raising feeling like someone just walked over my grave in the future to think someone liked Eddings Belgarion character over Sparhawk, sigh. Isn't it a beautiful thing to disagree :D I much prefer the aging warrior to the dish washing king though.

I still have my set of Deathgate novels, nuff said. I consider most of Terry Brooks work to fall into this category but I love the Landover series to pieces and probably always will the only books that remove themselves from this category would be the Word and Void series.

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books have never left my shelves in more then 15 years the ultimate of all comfort reading I have yet to find too many characters that make me smile like Slippery Jim DiGriz.

Eye Candy/Fluff authors, that would describe most of my book collection :)

Jv Jones, The Book Of Words series
Sara Douglass, Axis Trilogy

there all quite light reading

ctadams said:
DEFINITELY HAIR METAL ROCKS!!! (Bon Jovi anyone? Kiss? Whitesnake? Cinderella? Poison? A terrific guilty pleasure.) It always cracks me up when they do those "Eighties at 8:00" type programs and just skip right past the 3 or 4 years where hair metal was on top of the charts. (Hmnn, we'll play a couple songs from 1981, 1982... now something from 1989!) ;)
(Digging out her old CDs and heading toward the stereo).

i love bon jovi, kiss, sex pistols...!!!
welcome to the club :D :cool:

Motley Crue, Ratt and Winger to add to the bunch! :D

Hmm, for fluff reading:
Star Trek novels
Cartoon collections (Calvin & Hobbs, Dilbert, etc.)
Cat Who... books
Clive Cussler

Zolipara said:
David Gemmel has some good books. Very simple but pretty well written, fast paced and actionfilled.

QUOTE]

Morningstar is one of the best books I have ever read of any genre. Definitely Gemmel's best. I laugh and I weep every time I reread it.

Oberon said:
Michael Stackpole's "Battletech" novels probably rate high in this "category" (brilliant adverse of say, guilty pleasures!) and Timothy Zahn's Star Wars novels.
Zahn's first post-movies Star Wars trilogy is *the* best Star Wars I have ever read, bar none. It single-handedly revived my interest in Star Wars, and ranks as some of the best science fiction I've read as well. This chap can write very well, and I LOVED (screaming at the top my my lungs now) Grand Admiral Thrawn - everything a villian is supposed to be.

Zahn's *not* fluff! He's clever stuff! I have to *concentrate* to understand him, so he's definately not fluff.

:D

ds

Back