• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favourite Myth

What is your favourite myth?

• Celtic (King Arthur, Robin Hood)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Greek and Roman

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Arabic (1001 Nights, Aladdin)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Indian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's hard to decide. Personally, I'm very fond of mythology. Undoubtedly, our European culture owes the most to the Greek mythology, and this is the one I know best. However, considering my nickname, I have no choice but to claim that it's Norse mythology which is best.;)

Japanese mythology always seemed pretty interesting, so did Norse and Celtic mythology, but, I'm not really sure if I could say I have a favorite right now.

My favourite mythology is unquestionably Biblia and it doesn't dimish my respect for it as the Holy Book.
To be honest, I don't think that it's fair competition. I mean that we know well the Greek mythology, and Arabian or Celtic through the medium of European authors- it's already a bit "censored" .

Beatrycze, do you think that Greek mythology was not "censored"? To my mind, due to its often usage by Europen authors, it was changed many times: when being handed down to next generations, to match its content to later rules and morality, not to mention the fact of adding new plots by ancient people themselves. A good example of these practises is a myth about Agamemnon and his daughter Iphigenia. In the original version, Iphigenia is killed in order to bring Greek army victory in the Trojan War. Later, the myth was altered, leaving the girl alive. Though Agamemnon was willing to sacrifice her, goddess Artemis took her to make poor Iphigenia her servant in one of her temples. The cruel part was cut off, because sacrificing people to please gods wasn't a common custom any more and would have put the king in a bad light.
Besides, Greek mythology is full of bloody scenes, immoral characters (Dzeus, for instance), terrible monsters. Do you suggest that Arabian or Celtic mythology are worse? It's hard to believe.

I love the Greek and Roman myths. I find this part of history very interesting - I did Classical Studies for O level and Ancient History as an A level at school.

I think, Idun, your misunderstanding me is because I used wrong word here (but it was in inverted commas). Yes, Greek mythology was censored, but with Arabian and Celtic myths is different. We know them written by authors of culture very different from that of their origin. It's not the question of changing details, even important, but the whole message of the story. We are unaware of how the originals looked.
Obviously, characters of Greek mythology aren't ideals, but I claim they are closer to us than the others. We understand better Greeks, killing all Troyans and destroying the city than the king Szahjijar, condemning to death all his wives after one night.

Oooh oooh Mythology! :p One of my favorite subjects!! I love loads of mythology, mainly European but also from the Americas :)

As part of my degree we did a course on the Hittites of ancient Anatolia (Turkey) and their mythology was fascinating, especially as it seems to have influenced Greek myths such as the Hesiod.

Phil

Edit: Oops, did of course mean the Greek Theogeny (Creation Myth) which was written by Hesiod! ;)

Actually, I see no difference between killing Troyans (including children's massacre and then their mothers living with murderers of their own children) and wifes.
Besides, we also know most Greek myths not in the original form, but rewritten by contemporary writers.
As for Arabian myths being changed by the authors from a different culture - why do you take it that they didn't keep the original message? Maybe they understood it well and presented it for us not significantly distorted? The Arabian stories have their own, specific atmosphere and characteristic heroes.

phil_t - could you write somthing more about influence of Turkish myths on Greek mythology? I've never heard of that so I'd like to know something more.

I think that massacres during war, even including children are more understandable (although not justificable), than taking women for one night and then killing them, in order to take revenge on the first, unfaithful wife. We know many stories about wars, battles etc. , but not about man killing wives. Remember that Shahrijar isn't presented as negative character and his deeds aren't regarded as wrong.
What is more, 1001 Nights were considerably changed by their European author, because there wasn't so many stories. In Arabian 1001 means "many", so he wanted to be exact and divided some stories into few and also made up others and added them to the book. Nothing like that happened to Greek myths. As to Agamemnon and putting him in a bad light...sorry, but in both versions he intended to kill his daughter. I think that it's an influence of Abraham and Isaac story. But this is natural change of live myth throughout the centuries.

Idun - i can indeed if you are prepared to read a very long essay of mine on the subject that i had to write for uni! :D

Seriously though, i will attempt to get the essay off my computer and edit it down a bit to the interesting bits if you are interested :) It seems that basically all the majors themes of the Greek creation myth, the Theogony, were taken from the Hittite creation myths (which have various name, such as the Song of Kumarbi and the Song of Ullikummi, etc, but go under the general name of the Kingship in Heaven cycle). These themes include, the original creator being overthrown by his second in command, being emasculated (with the genitals creating spawn of various kinds), and then the new chief god having to fight a vicious monster. Its a bit more complicated by that, as i said i'll post up a couple of paragraphs from my essay if you are interested and nobody minds! :p

Phil

Edit: Since i didnt actually respond to the point of the thread, my favorite type of mythology is actually Norse, which also isnt on the poll :p

Originally posted by Beatrycze
Remember that Shahrijar isn't presented as negative character and his deeds aren't regarded as wrong.

To my mind, this statement proves my point. In our culture such a cruel misdeed would be condemn, and the murderer shown as a merciless psychopath. In Arabian region it is husband who has a right to decide about his wife's life and death. So if the king wanted to kill his wife, he just did it. If the myth doesn't describe him as a bad guy, it is then in accordance with Arabian mentality, even if it was written by an European author.

As for the number of tales - the book of Arabian Nights which I've read definitely didn't consist of 1001 stories, there were far less, but long. Certainly, I could have not full version. Still, I think that cutting stories is not such an unique practise. Some scientists say that Iliad and Odyssey were not written by one man, but compiled from many songs sang by few ancient bards. It's actually the other way round, but the mechanism of changing length is similar.

phil_t - I'm still interested! And I'm waiting...

Weeeeel, theres a small problem, as it turns out i dont actually have a soft copy of my essay at my house, but i do have the research notes, so i'll try to present a nice tidy summary from that - but im currently busy writing up my CV (yuck, job applications! :( ) so it'll have to wait til tomorrow morning i should think!!

Phil

Erm arn't celtic myths a bit more beowulf than Robin hood?
As for other mythology, Monkey rocks!

You forgot to add the christian bible stories. Mostly a jumble of poorly translated & awfully dull writings, but it's not without its' interesting points, especially in Revelations.

J_D, Beowulf is actually a Saxon (Old English) myth, although it may have Norse influence in later versions

Your point is correct though, Robin Hood is not Celtic myth, but in fact a folk hero from Medieval English (think Norman).

King Arthur is Celtic through and through (dont believe all that rubbish about him being a Roman general)

Whilst on the subject, theres a great book called Albion: A Guide to Legendary Britain by Jennifer Westwood, which tours the British Isles explaining the folklore and mythology of certain areas, which is well worth a read :)

Phil

You see, I knew Errol Flynn didn't wear woad. Ps. I never heard King Arthur could be Roman but I did hear he might be... FRENCH :eek: any truth in this?

Well i dont know about actually being French, but it certainly possible he could have come from one of the territories that existed in the north of France at that point, such as Bretony (nw corner of France)

According to the book "British & Irish Mythology" by John and Caitlin Matthews King Arthur was a son of Igraine, queen of Cornwalia, and Uther Pendragon, king of Britain. That eliminates the possibility of him being French. In the same book the authors state, that most researchers situate Camelot somewhere in Somerset.

But the story about The Round Table is only a very old myth and from what I know numerous cities fight for the priviledge of being - for instance - the place where King Arthur was buried.

Back