• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Feel-Good Box

ValkyrieRaven88

I recently got a touching note from a friend of mine, a seventeen-year-old Mexican exchange student who shares some classes with me. She does not speak English very well, and I help her with her homework and translate for her when she needs me to. The note basically thanked me for everything I had done to help her, and for being there when she needed me.

I read it several times, and made up my mind to keep it and take it out when I began to feel inadequate or depressed. And then the idea was sparked in my mind to make a "feel-good box" of nice letters and other things that made me feel good about myself. I arranged one, and I am going to take it to college with me, because God knows then I'll need something to cheer me up when I'm crying.

I just got to wondering if anyone else did this. If not, what would you put in your feel-good box if you had one?

The contents of mine:
1. The letter from my Mexican friend
2. A letter from a professional writer after viewing my writing when I was twelve
3. A list of nice things about me written by all my classmates in a class activity
4. Some essays for my College English class with "excellent" written all over in red ink
5. My certificate for my brownbelt in karate
6. A card from my grandmother that says "Don't follow someone else's footprints--they may not lead where you want to go!"

That's all I've got so far. Planning to add on. Maybe one day I'll have a nice little letter in there proclaiming me a published author.

Oh, that's a good idea! I should do it too since I need cheered up rather often due to my work environment.

One of the things that would be in mine is a letter of gratitude that I received from the mother of my Japanese friend. She came to college last year. I befriended her on her second day in the U.S. and was always there when I could help. I had time to kill between classes so I sat in one of hers and took notes, cutting out all the tangents that the professor went on. It really helped her a lot. I even did my best to help her with a sociology course that I had taken the previous year. (I despise Philip Roth's American Pastoral.) She had her mother send me a box full of the entire series of Rurouni Kenshin manga in the original Japanese, along with some other anime stuff, and the short letter was included.

Great idea!!! I cant wait to try it! Not sure what I will put in it, but probably some fun things from my children!! Thanks!!!:D

Back