• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

feeling aimless

What I meant to say is, damn it, man, this is no time for lollygagging. Pull your socks up.

Here's 10 bucks. Don't come home until you've rid the world of evil and won your true love's heart.

or just keep doing nothing, but change the setting, meaning go out in beautiful salzburg, remember that saying "you might meet the most interesting people in your moments of solitude", but doesnt help if you are locked in your room

oldboy said:
direction wil come sooner or later. anyway youve got direction>>

agreed.

Gizmo, thanks for your openning this thread for discussion, i could probably learn something from it. :)

Gizmo,

My best advice is to try a little of everything. If you like biology, try a bit of paleobiology, or maybe some CSI forensic stuff. The thing is -- you won't find the thing that you love, doing only what you know. Sure, it might not work for you, but I can assure you that all of those kids around you who "know just where they're going" -- DON'T. They THINK they know where they're going, but it's sort of like one of those exploring-style video games where the whole board starts out black (like Dune 2000 or Real War) and you uncover bits and pieces as you go along. If you want to have some fun, write down in a journal what each of these kids KNOWS they'll be doing and check back in five years. While you've been sampling around and have found just the right fit, chances are that they've strayed from their path and are somewhere *completely* different!

Don't worry about failing at anything, because at least you did it.

The best two pieces of advice I ever got came from my mom (and I'm sure someone said them before that):

"If you think rejection sucks -- try regret."

"If the person next to you thinks they are the smartest person in the world, it may be true. Perhaps they can't imagine anything higher."

;) Cathy

I think it's very common to not know what to do post-university/college...

Unless you do a very job-specific course, then your future plans are very broad...this is great in some ways, but of course can lead to anxiety over what to do next...

My advice would be to get a short-term job like waitering, save some cash, then go for a travel...it'll give you time to think, plus you'll be having a great time seeing so many places as you do it...

Asia is an ideal area because you can stretch your cash for a long time without living like a complete bum...

Irene Wilde said:
making the bed,
Irene Wilde

As usual Ms Irene gives fine advice. But the above three words have me puzzled. Make. The. Bed. ????? Is this some strange California cult thing?
Now I'm an elderly, crippled English gentleman and my childhood is a long, long time ago but I can vaguely remember my dear old mum (Gawd rest her soul) saying something along those lines but the few, scattered, shards of that memory are enough to make me break out into the proverbial, and cliched, cold sweat.
Is it something married people do? If single persons, such as myself, do it will we go blind? Make. The. Bed. Strange and spooky.

Anglenos and Londoners, forever separated by a common language. :)

It refers to straightening and smoothing the bed clothes so they are nice and tidy.

Now if we could only clearly delineate "snogging" and "dancing" we'd be making real progress in Anglo-American dialogue.

Irene Wilde

"Make the Bed" really is a good advice!!! Did you never notice, that your bed feels more cosy when you made it in the morning? Washing the linens isn't a bad idea either! I just hung my bedsheets out of the window to air. And by the way making the bed is a first step of not getting back to bed till evening! :D :D :D

And in 30 seconds to a minute and a half (if you are really slow or a messy sleeper), you have something accomplished and the corresponding feeling, :) whereas before, you were depressed and doing nothing. :(

I only use flannel sheets any season. It is the softest feeling in the world.
A freshly made bed (using Bounce or whatever to make the sheets even softer) + flannel = utopia
:D

I believe I'm starting to understand now. You're talking about shaking the sheets: when there are so many crumbs (newspaters, books, empty cigarette packets, pizza boxes, chinese takeaway cartons etc) in the bed that you can't find the sheets and sleeping becomes slightly uncomfortable? Or is it throwing the sheets: if they stick to the ceiling they get washed. Like underpants.
I would add that I don't actually do the above. My sheets (and underpants) get washed regularly. Every six months whether they need it or not. I'm a respectable, elderly, crippled gentleman.
Now explain to me again Ms Wilde, why is it I don't have a girlfriend?

Beats the hell out of me. Tall, dark, devilishly handsome, and you do laundry twice as often as most men I know! :)

Irene Wilde

Over here we use these big bulky things full of feathers (Sorry but I couldn't find a translation). They are awesome and I think I wouldn't survive the winter without them. :D
I once tried to make an American bed with these handful of different blanckets but I had to surrender after 45 minutes due to danger of mental breakdown. :D :D :D
For Europeans getting all these layers straight and in the right place is quiet a miracle.

Billy Oblivion said:
I believe I'm starting to understand now. You're talking about shaking the sheets: when there are so many crumbs (newspaters, books, empty cigarette packets, pizza boxes, chinese takeaway cartons etc) in the bed that you can't find the sheets and sleeping becomes slightly uncomfortable? Or is it throwing the sheets: if they stick to the ceiling they get washed. Like underpants.
I would add that I don't actually do the above. My sheets (and underpants) get washed regularly. Every six months whether they need it or not. I'm a respectable, elderly, crippled gentleman.
Now explain to me again Ms Wilde, why is it I don't have a girlfriend?
:D :D :D (Thx, that was a good laugh!)
Do you sometimes find dead animals in your bed?

Gizmo -
"Duvets" are the crowning touch to a soft bed covered in flannel sheets.
You've got it made when you've got a duvet!! :p

quotagirl said:
Gizmo -
"Duvets" are the crowning touch to a soft bed covered in flannel sheets.
You've got it made when you've got a duvet!! :p
Thx that was the word I was looking for all the time!
Actually we don't have much more than a duvet. There's a linen sheet over the matress but it holds by itself and thats it.

Back