• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fighting Mother Nature

Motokid said:
Has anybody seen the proposed cost of re-building after Katrina?

$250 Billion that's a B....Billion...!!!! And Dubbya is trying to say that tax increases will not be needed, that we just need to re-direct funds from other areas....

I'm not sure if some of that 250 Billion is for Rita re-building or not.

I heard some of the things that that $250 billion is to go towards, but if anyone can find a news story outlining it in detail I'd love to see the link.

Moto...

I don't have a news link, but I can say that I know where some of the $250B is coming from.

We just received notification from Congress to conduct an "Offset Drill", which is when the government proposes cutting monies from defense programs, and asks program managers (like mine) how it will impact what they are doing.

They are asking for $1 Billion from the Marine Corps alone ($4.5M from my program). Not sure what the other services are being asked for, but as the Marine Corps is the smallest monetary pot they have, you can bet the Army and Navy are being asked for a much bigger chunk.

Good side? If the money can be obtained through off sets, taxes won't have to be increased.

Bad side? We will delay fielding new technologies and improvements to existing technologies that would help our warfighters do their jobs. Also, some contracts will be terminated and some folks will be looking for work.

Whether our taxes go up or not, we will all more than likely feel the bite of paying for the rebuilding costs.

abecedarian said:
These two major hurricanes back to back remind me of a made-for-tv movie I saw several years ago. It had Craig T. Nelson, and was a propaganda piece about global warming. In it there were a string of monster storms that ruined the southern US and the rest if the nation suffered severe drought and heat. The only place to go to get cool was northern Canada. Regardless of the intent of the producers, whenever a big storm is expected, I pray a little harder for those in its path.

I think the movie was called "The Day After"... I haven't seen it, but my boss was telling me that he, too, was reminded of it after these two hurricanes.

eerie.

Back