• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Film or book?

denny

If a film and book were to be released concurrently, which would you prefer - the film or the book? And why?

Well, it depends on the subject, I suppose. For example, I'm not enough into Johnny Cash to read his autobiography, but I would love to see Walk the Line. However, if it was a book on a subject that really interests me or by an author I like I would definitely read the book first.

That's a fair comment, and I think I would have to agree with you on the example that you gave. I'm not a big JC fan either, but wouldn't mind seeing the film.

On the whole though, especially with fiction, I'd choose the book every time. I always feel that with films, too much of the work is done for you, i.e. you're shown what the characters look like, what they sound like, whereas with a book, there's a certain element of personal interpretation required.

I agree with you completely. If you've seen the film first you tend to think of the characters the way they were interpreted in the film, and we all know that filmmakers use a lot of artistic licence. If you have read the book first, you always tend to get a bit disappointed with their choice of characters and the way they chose to tell the story.

I try to read the book first, as books are far more thorough (you can read what the character is thinking, which is very hard to pull off convincingly on the big screen), and as Denny said, it enables you to use your imagination more. I love reading the book and then going to the movies to see how they have interpreted different scenes and characters compared to how I did.

Plus, I tend to get bored about 1 1/2 hours through a movie, no matter if I'm enjoying it or not. I just can't sit there for 2 - 2 1/2 hours and not fidget and wish the movie was over. Funnily enough, the only movies I saw over the summer holidays where I only started to fidget in the last 1/2 hr - 15 mins were The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and King Kong - probably the two longest that I saw :D

If a book is quite complicated, I like to see the film first and then I seem to get a basic understanding of what is going on, which a book then pads out a lot more. Particularly in the case of biographical films of relatively unknown people, it makes you want to find out more about them. The Aviator was a movie that made me want to find out more about Howard Hughes (a very strange man). You just have to be prepared for the fact that a lot of films use a great deal of poetic licence in their interpretation of books.

I do agree with the Johnny Cash example, but generally I'd go for whichever was the original. If it's 'The Book of The Film', then I'd watch the film first, and vice versa.

I disagree with the Johnny Cash example - actually, it was pretty much reading his autobiography, one of the best of its kind and a great read for anyone even remotely interested in music, that turned me into a fan, not the other way around. Don't think I'll ever watch "Walk The Line" though, for the same reason I don't go to Elvis impersonations.

On the second point, though, I'll agree with Daryl? except that I have never and never plan to read a "book of the film". I have on more than one occasion seen a movie before I read the book, and it almost always made reading the book a bit less rewarding. Given the choice, I'll usually tackle the original first. Depends on the writer and director, though.

When it comes to fiction, I generally prefer the book, though there are some exceptions. For example, I prefer The Godfather part 2 to the book.

beer good said:
On the second point, though, I'll agree with Daryl? except that I have never and never plan to read a "book of the film".

A fair point. Though I have read a few 'book's of the film', I can't think of a single instance where it was an improvement on the film. I think once or twice there may have been added scenes that have perhaps clarified the film in question, but offhand I don't remember any examples.

I was permanently scared off "books of the film" when I went shopping for "Dracula" many years ago, and only as I handed the book over to the cashier did I realize that what I almost bought wasn't Bram Stoker's "Dracula" but "Bram Stoker's Dracula" - a novel based on the 1992 film based on the book, and written by two people I'd never heard of before or since.

I'd read the book first, for the same reason others have given. It's more thorough, and you get more of a feel of the characters. With a film, you've got to cram all that detail into about 2 hours, so in most cases, something has be changed or left out.

I saw Brokeback Mountain yesterday (it was great), and now I do want to read the story "after the fact", though I usually agree with the book-first attitude.

There are two reasons, even though there are things the movie could portray in ways (misunderstand me properly: not better, differently) the story couldn't - e.g. the scenery, the kissing scenes, the wind at Ennis' and Alma's first house, Lureen's half-smile when Jack told off his father-in-law, Jack's boyhood room.
First of course, a written story usually adds layers and depth in a way a film can't. Second, I seem to be able better to remember, and take to heart, stories when I read them than when I see them. I'm just a words person I guess :)

*mrkgnao*

Almost always - the book

Unfortunately, adding visual imagery (such as in movies) limits the imagination. That being said, I absolutely love movies. They always seem to disappoint after you read the book, however. Case in point...Along Came a Spider by James Patterson...good book, awful movie.

http://www.jonathanzemsky.com

It would depend on the subject for me as well. If it was fiction that I was generally interested in, I'd probably read the book first. However, films with limited releases in theaters will sometimes get the book read before the film is viewed (i.e. The Virgin Suicides & Breakfast On Pluto).

One of the only movies that I like better than the book would be The Godfather. Other than that I always prefer the book over the movie.

Back