• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Finding Motivation

gabrielc

I just wanted to share my methods of how I motivate myself to write. Writing is something I love to do, but with my busy life I not always in the mood or I don't get in the mood as often as I want, mostly because when I do have my free time I just want to rest. Especially for someone who likes to make his work public at my site and people are always waiting on the newer passages. Well throughout my writing ventures I've found effective ways to motivate myself or get myself in the mood as some would say.
For starters I find that a great way to motivate myself is to go back to the beginning, meaning when the idea of the current story for whatever you're writing had first came to you. Maybe a song you were listening to or a movie you were watching or an event you were doing. Try to help remind yourself how you were first inspired to write the thing that you're working on. For me music is key, I find it really easy to motivate yourself by listening that type of music that relates to your writing. Like if you're writing a horror maybe listen to creepy music while imagining passages from your writing. I also find it easier to be creative if music is planing while I'm writing it really helps the creativity to flow. Another way is pictures, I like to search the internet for pics of related to my writing and just take in the art. For example I'm currently working of a science fiction / fantasy story. Before I write I like to search for cosmic pictures. Pictures of beautiful space scenes or ships. Here's an example http://www.pulsarmedia.eu/r_fantasy_..._02_46347.html I find that art helps to influence art. I do have some other ways but I don't have to much time on my hands now but I hope this post helps someone. I also keep a blog on my site that I've recently started the link is below.

Phantom Universe - About

I'm negatively motivated to write this critique.

You might want to do a better job of introducing yourself to us the reading audience.

A. Who are you? B. What is your life story ( in a nutshell )?

C. What does writing mean to you?

Before you talk about what motivates you to write; you might want to talk about how you and writing came together.

As far as what you see, hear and experience; you might want to present us that through which those attributes will come through.

In other words: Let your writing do the talking.

I just wanted to share my methods of how I motivate myself to write. Writing is something I love to do, but with my busy life I not always in the mood or I don't get in the mood as often as I want, mostly because when I do have my free time I just want to rest. Especially for someone who likes to make his work public at my site and people are always waiting on the newer passages. Well throughout my writing ventures I've found effective ways to motivate myself or get myself in the mood as some would say.
For starters I find that a great way to motivate myself is to go back to the beginning, meaning when the idea of the current story for whatever you're writing had first came to you. Maybe a song you were listening to or a movie you were watching or an event you were doing. Try to help remind yourself how you were first inspired to write the thing that you're working on. For me music is key, I find it really easy to motivate yourself by listening that type of music that relates to your writing. Like if you're writing a horror maybe listen to creepy music while imagining passages from your writing. I also find it easier to be creative if music is planing while I'm writing it really helps the creativity to flow. Another way is pictures, I like to search the internet for pics of related to my writing and just take in the art. For example I'm currently working of a science fiction / fantasy story. Before I write I like to search for cosmic pictures. Pictures of beautiful space scenes or ships. Here's an example Fantasy Space 02 I find that art helps to influence art. I do have some other ways but I don't have to much time on my hands now but I hope this post helps someone. I also keep a blog on my site that I've recently started the link is below.

Phantom Universe - About

Hello my names Val and I'm knew to this site......
I have read your thread on motivation and I agree that at times it is difficult juggling so many committments. Achieving balance can be hard when promoting a new book, working on the next one, holding down a job and completing any mundane run of the mill tasks that we have all have to do.
At times I have struggled, however, to help my motivation I give myself time limits. I tell myself that I will give myself half an hour to work on my writing. By the time the half an hour is up I'm usually engaged with writing and my motivation has been achieved!! If not I do the half hour which means I am half an hour further in to achieving my goal so its winner which ever way! :eek:)

Writing is something I love to do, but with my busy life I not always in the mood or I don't get in the mood as often as I want, mostly because when I do have my free time I just want to rest.

Replace "writing" with "sex" and you have a married guy's life. :p

I don't have problem finding motivation. I have a problem finding time. When I do have free time, I'd rather spend it with my hubby than writing. Basically, I'm too busy and social to be a writer. I have numerous outlines and a few chapters of a novel that I started, but life got in the way. I don't mind so much. I don't want my hubby saying the same thing Lovecraftian and direstraits say. :whistling:

Im not a writer or anything creative as a matter of fact but I do love to read. Alot of authors say they write from life expieriences. If you ever get writers block I guess take a break and get out of the house and come back later to your work. Than you will have a fresh look at things

I'll actually sit down and, after it's saved on another file, go through and rework the plot in different ways until something strikes my fancy, then write about that. But I don't get writer's block very often, call me lucky.

So I guess I'm saying, 'motivation won't always come unless you are enthused about what you're doing'
Its all about vision.

Back