• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First couple to be in bed together on tv

First Couple to Sleep in One Bed, In the 1960s, television audiences were invited to meet the Flintstones, a stone-age couple so modern that they actually slept under the same sheets.

here
here

Can cartoon characters be classed as actors

but from here
While Lucy and Ricky Ricardo on I LOVE LUCY definitely slept in separate beds, their neighbors Fed and Ethel were actually the first on that show to sleep together in the same bed (well sort of). It seems on the January 17, 1955 episode "First Stop" Ethel and Fred try to navigate their way through a sagging mattress and consequently are seen squirming in bed together.
And some trivia
TRIVIA NOTE: The reason TV couples were not allowed in bed together harkened back to the Hayes Code, a series of rules and regulations designed to moderate the action of Hollywood film industry directors and producers in the 1930s. The Hayes Code censorship guidelines dictated that a man and woman could never be seen in the same bed. If the situation occurred that a man and woman were on the same bed together, one of them had to keep a leg on the floor. So, for instance, a man could sit on the side of a bed and talk to a woman in the bed, but one of his legs had to maintain contact with the floor at all times. The Hayes Codes also prohibited the navel of a woman to be displayed in the screen. Filmmakers found loopholes in the rule, however, In the case of belly dancer, a well placed jewel in the belly button helped them bypass the spirit of the Hayes Code and continue to make "sheik" & "harem" movie adventures. The power of the Hayes Code reared its head in the 1960s, as well,. when actress like Barbara Eden as Jeannie the Genie in her Harem Costume on the sitcom I DREAM OF JEANNIE, Sally Field in her bathing suits from teenage comedy GIDGET and Dawn Wells wearing her knotted-up shirts on the maritime sitcom GILLIGAN'S ISLAND were all made to cover up their navels from the supposed leering eyes of lusty American youth. Thankfully, times have changed. The Hayes Code fell to the wayside when it was replaced by the MPAA Ratings announced in November 1968 (G, M, R and X rating guidelines).

again, I can only go by what the book I'm reading states as fact, and it totally contradicts the snopes.com findings. My guess is that show which snopes refers to was never a nationally broadcast, primetime, televison show in the USA? I have never heard of it.

I don't know... and the cartoon thing is not elegible(spelling?) for this question. We're talking real human beings. Answer is in the spoiler below...

it's The Munsters, according to my book. Don't badger me for the accuracy, I have no idea, I'm just the messenger not the authority. lies wins, sort of...by making multiple guesses of a few black and white shows he stumbled on the answer, The Munsters were able to get away with this because of the cartoonish like portrayal of a totally bizarre family that really could not exist in the minds of the network. Morticia Addams and Lily Munster were also able to break out of the standard ultra-conservative female dress code of television and dress much more seductively, but they were never seen outside the homemaker role.

thanks for playing, and now we'll heve to battle out whether snopes.com is correct, or the book I'm reading....

I read on a website somewhere that many people thought it was
the Munsters
, but it turned out not to be.

That's why I didn't mention it.

Cheers

I guess motokid didn't really know the history of these tv shows, and was just trying to show off. weren't you, motokid?

just reporting on what I read in the book I'm reading now...I can't make claims to the authenticity of what I read...only asking the question and havin' fun readin the responces...

"Who was first? There has long been much confusion about which married couple first shared the same bed on TV. Some have said Lucy and Ricky of I Love Lucy, others have gone for Carol and Mike of The Brady Bunch, Wilma and Fred of The Flintstones, Lily and Herman of The Munsters, and, of course, Samantha and Darrin of Bewitched. Strangely enough, it was none of these. The winner is Mary Kay and Johnny, which first aired on November 18, 1947. This was a 15-minute series that ran for three years. The Flintstones [1960-1966] were next, but are often discounted because they were cartoon characters, not real people. Next would be Bewitched and The Munsters both of which first aired in 1964."

Well, I guess you can never trust what you read anywhere these days? Maybe the group of dorky philosophers that got together to write the Simpsons and Philosophy book did not do such great research. I've never heard of Mary Kay and Johnny. Must have been pretty horrible to never make it to syndication on some cable channel. Even Gilligan's Island was played about a billions times over and over again....

Sorry about the gender thing lies, but how exactly am I supposed to know what is the truth with a name like lies? :eek:

Motokid said:
Sorry about the gender thing lies, but how exactly am I supposed to know what is the truth with a name like lies? :eek:
The fact that Lies is a girl's name should've given it away. But since I'm in a forgiving mood... ;)

Lies might be a typical girls name in Belgium...I have never heard of it as a name at all...can you figure out a way to let me know how to pronounce it?

Does it sound like saying somebody who never tells the truth lies a lot?
Or does is sound more like lease, or leez...

In American remember...eurpoean pronounciation challenged to say the least.... :confused:

In my case, Lies is short for Marlies, which is a typical name in all Dutch and German speaking countries. It's pronounced as [li:s] -- just like "lease", really.

"just like "lease", really."

amazing how that little bit of info changes my whole perception about you now...just how I view your name....and say it in my head....I just had you pegged for a real good liar....go figure...

thanx for the education....

I've had that happen to me too... Your world goes upside down and inside out, doesn't it?

(I am a rather OK liar by the way.)

i always thought it was lies as in liar too, but i knew you were a girl, i checked your profile. one of my friends is names lise, which is pronounced leez.

Back