• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First couple to be in bed together on tv

i found it but no one will know as know one will have ever heard of the show. it is the first sitcom from 1947 called mary kay and johnny.

On Tuesday, 18 November 1947, a 15-minute program entitled Mary Kay and Johnny made its debut on the Dumont network. Like the more famous I Love Lucy series that followed it, Mary Kay and Johnny starred a real-life couple, actors Johnny and Mary Kay Stearns. Mary Kay had been modeling junior wear on a weekly TV show when her husband pitched the idea of a television-based domestic comedy to a sponsor. (Many such domestic shows, often featuring real-life couples, were playing on radio, but none had yet made the transition to television). Johnny got the go-ahead to produce a single episode, so he wrote a light comedic script about a newly-married couple who lived in a Greenwich Village apartment, just as he and Mary Kay, also a newly-married couple, did. The show caught on, and Mary Kay and Johnny, performed live, became television's first sitcom, eventually running for three years on three different networks (Dumont, NBC, and CBS).
yep you are correct

not according to the book I'm reading....this was a well known show that has enjoyed many years of syndicated re-runs and should be pretty widely known by most in North America at least.

I am just basing this question on what I read in the book I'm currently reading. I did not do an internet search.

I'm talking about mainstream American television jenn, and a major network show that spanned at least a few years in production.

Did I word my question badly? I'm not talking about the couple being married in real life an appearing on television.

I'm talking about the two, opposite sexed people being shown in bed together on a major network show. Something that to date had never been shown before. Two opposite sex people in bed together. they were potraying a married couple on the show but were never married in real life

Hope I didn't "f" that question up...... :eek:

sorry if I'm confusing anybody here...

According to my book nobodies got it right yet...

all I can say is I'm going on the book I'm reading and assuming the guy who wrote it got his facts right....

arrr I see what you are getting at extra marital sex.

SHOCK HORROR, DOES IT EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean the actors weren't married, or the characters weren't married? We need to settle this so I can go back to watching Star Trek.

From Carlos' wife.

jeez, sorry for the confusion...

the actor and actress are not, and were never married in real life...they were portraying a married couple on the show....

no inference of sex on the show, just showing them in the same bed together, which was a first on television at the time

hope this helps....

was it 'all in the family'....? i know i'm totally wrong, but thought i'd take a shot at it anyway

nope, don't recall them ever showing any bedroom at all in the Bunker house.

that's not it....another hint...the show was in black and white....

Motokid said:
nope, don't recall them ever showing any bedroom at all in the Bunker house.

that's not it....another hint...the show was in black and white....

Actually they showed Edith and Archie in bed more than a few times.

I remember hearing the story about this - both actors had to keep one foot on the floor in order to get the approval of the network. If it's B/W I'd have to guess The Dick Van Dyke show.

no i guessed that and he said no. i have no clue. did this cause scandal because they were in bed together, as actors but not married in real life?

Spit it out, Moto! The Adams Family? The Munsters? Bewitched? Come on, I don't know that many black and white shows. :(

So, when are you gonna tell us?

For the record, I still believe it's this show, no matter what your stinking book says.

Cheers

but they were married in real life and moto's 2 are not married in real life, just actors acting married.

Back