• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First Editions, Printing Help

jeriw

Hi, I have a question about First Editions and reading what printing edition a book is. Here is an example: 93 94 95 96 97 RRD 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 -- Is this a First Printing because of the "1" or is it a "93rd" printing? If it's a straight number line it's easy to figure out but I'm never certain of the above example. And what does the RRD mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeri :confused:

:confused: While I haven't seen the copyright page of the book you're looking at, I would expect that the original printing of the book was in 1993, with subsequent editions published in 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997. It would be the 10th printing, with 4 editions (one each year, or they wouldn't list the years). Not sure about the RRD either. It might be an internal code of the publisher. Which publisher is it?

At least, that's my best guess. Novella, what say you?

Cathy

The lowest double digit is the year the book was printed; the lowest single digit is the number of the book's printing.
Your book is the the first printing of that edition in 1993.
The edition represents books printed from the same set of printing plates. A book stating "First Edition" is the first printing of the first edition if the lowest single digit is a "1". There may be many later printings of a first edition.

Hi Cathy, Thanks for your reply and your answer. And Thanks Occlith, sounds like you answered my question. Never ever dawned on me the two digit numbers would be the year published. All this time I've wondered about it. But I'll copy and save the information you gave me as it will prevent further head scratching in the future. Jeri

Back