• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fitzjames O'Brien: The Wife Tempter

Yes, actually I did. I thought the style was fascinating, possibly parodying all the tropes of a conventional romance story in a very skilled and readable manner. The seriolus theme was deliberately slower to emerge, and I am still somewhat puzzled how to put my finger on it, other than to say that it is a highly unusual sort of triangle.
But, overall, a very engaging sort of story.

I really liked it,it felt in the end he knew he could not fight it,his love was not enough for the grasp it had on her.

Yes, I think that is true. I was hoping for some kind of larger symmetry to explain the characters' actions. Perhaps it is that each character has a conception of love that also includes recognizing a "higher" obligation to one's beloved. The husand gives her up out of love for her. She gives up her husband for a higher love. And the tempter, out of care (love?) for her well-being, enlists her love on behalf of someone else instead of himself. Not quite smooth, but as clear as I can see it.
The Mormon angle, to me, seems not well thought out -- not fitting exactly with what little I have heard of Mormonism.

Back