• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Five Best Horror Novels

JohnnySmakface said:
Yeah, it's spelled Pet Sematary. And hey, there's nothing wrong with 14 year olds. Well, there is. I'm the only person I know of at my age who reads for pleasure.

Too bad. We are not so civilised here in Moscow - my daughter, who is 14 herself, reads quite a lot. Though much less, then I had been reading at her age...
But we hadn't all these shining things you seem to enjoy now, so maybe it's nothing wrong really with teenagers after all...

what is your favorite horror book

im looking for a good horror book to read, but cant find any i havent read:( .
is there any one with any ideas on what i can read?? i read any thing rom steven king to annrice or any thing else.:eek:

Labyrinth, refer to the thread I started in the horror catagory I got a lot of good suggestions.
AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG 14 YEAR OLD READERS! I READ THE HELL OUTTA ANYTHING I COULD FIND WHEN I WAS THAT AGE!

Cabinet of Curiosties by Preston and Child
The Stand By King
The Night Shift collection By King
Queen of the Damned by Rice
Nightshade by Saul
False Memory by Koontz
Infernal Angel by Lee

Bookie, I couldnt find a listing for Masterpiece on either Amazon or Yahoo.
Where did you here about it, I love Koontz and would love to try it.:rolleyes:

1. Interview with the Vampire (Anne Rice)
2. It (Stephan King)
3. The Vampire Lestat (Anne Rice)
4. The Dark Tower IV (Stephan King)
5. Scary Stories 3 (I din't know the author)

Sergo said:
Sorry, guys and girls, but I thought that the book was titled "the pet CemEtEry"... Sorry again, which is the right one? Shame on me for my poor English...

You don't have poor English, Cemetery is how you correctly spell it, but the book is spelled Sematary because that's how the children spelled it in the book.

wow, Stephen King definatly has a lot of fans. i'm actually reading a collection of his novellas, Different Seasons. not really horror but at the same time, the first story kind of hit a pit in my stomach that isn't hit often

1. The Girl Next Door
2. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
3. Tales of the Unexpected
4. Misery
5. The Tell-Tale Heart

5. Phantoms by Dean Koontz
4. The Shining by Stephen King
3. Gerald's Game by Stephen King
2. It by Stephen King
1. Pet Semetary by Stephen King

Oberon said:
Doesn't seem like we have a favorites list in this forum, so give us your best representative horror novels:

1. Dracula (Stoker)
2. 'salem's lot (King)
3. The Shining (King)
4. Interview with the Vampire (Rice)
5. The Great and Secret Show (Barker)

Hmmm. Three of them are vampire stories! and if I were to add an Honorable Mention, wouldn't ya know! Fevre Dream by George RR Martin--another vampire novel!

It's cool to see a fan of The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker. That was not the easiest book to read, but it was damn good. I couldn't get into the sequel Everville. I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing was.

Special note, I suppose, should go to Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto - the first Gothic novel that introduced so many archetypes to the Gothic and horror genres.

I dug up this thread looking to find some scary reads for this month and I saw this post. I had forgotten about that story and it was one I liked, I have it in a collection with 2 other stories Vathek by William Beckford & the Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe. I had to go pull the book out and I'll give it another read now.

No; it's long winded and boring.

Also Pet Semetary is hella boring also, I can't don't know why people call that scary.

Hmmm does this thread so far state that H.P Lovecraft did not write at least one of the five best horror novels or does it say that most of the posters aren't very versed in Horror literature? I know Stevie himself would not leave Lovecraft out if he were asked this question.

When I think "horror", I think of what actually sends chills down my spine.

With that in mind, here are my picks:

1. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
2. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
3. The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams
4. Song of Kali by Dan Simmons
5. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (horror does not have to be supernatural)

1. Pet Sematary by Stephen King
2. Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
3. Salems' Lot by Stephen King
4. Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
5. Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

Dearly Devoted Dexter, Red Dragon,and Grave Peril are all horror mysteries. Very impressive ones at that.

The Exorcist-greatest horror novel of all time by far, in my opinion
The Phantom of the Opera
The Shining
All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By-by Ramsey Campbell
Midnight by Dean Koontz

1. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
shirley jackson is really good. try we have always lived in the castle if you haven't.

Stewart said:
The five best horror novels should not be those written today - that's lack of respect for the genre. The best horror novels are those written in yesteryear by authors that typically weren't associated with the genre or, by tenuous links, were.
this makes no sense. you're a pretentious snob

Back