• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Flash banners are driving me nuts!

mehastings

The banners at the top right and bottom center of the screen seem to have a lot of flash in them lately. Is there any way that TBF can stop allowing banners that require the flash plugin? I don't have it on my computer at work and I'm blocked from installing it. Every single page I navigate to causes those annoying installation boxes to pop up at least once, usually twice. I'm certain that I'm not the only person out there without the stupid plugin.

I don't know if there is any control over where the banners come from, but if there is, can something be done?

Hi. I hadn't realised there was a flash banner in there. I think it's only one from Penguin UK about their 70th Anniversary offer. That should only be shown to European visitors so hopefully now you shouldn't have any more problems.

If anyone else is having problems, let me know.

Darren.

Darren said:
Hi. I hadn't realised there was a flash banner in there. I think it's only one from Penguin UK about their 70th Anniversary offer. That should only be shown to European visitors so hopefully now you shouldn't have any more problems.

Yup. That must have been the one. I've been clicking around a bit and the flash problem hasn't happened yet! Thank you very much.

You can stop that box from appearing in most browsers i think. Check your browser settings and see how it handles plugins.

Zolipara said:
You can stop that box from appearing in most browsers i think. Check your browser settings and see how it handles plugins.

My computer is pretty much locked down. It's a shared workstation and I don't have any kind access rights. It kindof sucks, but I figure it's the company's computer, so I have no right to complain.

If you have any questions on the stuff PM me and I'll help if I can. I know the Linux versions of the stuff pretty well, I'm going to assume it's not that different in the Windows world.

ions said:
If you have any questions on the stuff PM me and I'll help if I can. I know the Linux versions of the stuff pretty well, I'm going to assume it's not that different in the Windows world.
I'll definately remember to, although my sister is a bit of a computer geek so she should manage. Thanks for the offer :)

Peder said:
You're the rare one!
Congratulations! :)

Thanks. I'm used to it at this point. I managed the people who ran the school's computer labs in college. I spent years being the bad guy who locks the computers down, so being upset when having to deal with it in my job is just pointless. Every once in a while I envy those friends who have all kinds of fun stuff installed on their work computers and those who don't have net nanny keeping them away from half of the internet. Then I remember they have to be in to work at 8AM and the envy goes away.

I know ads are not particularly popular, but they're our only source of income to keep this site running.

Without them, the site will close :(

Darren said:
I know ads are not particularly popular, but they're our only source of income to keep this site running.

Without them, the site will close :(
Yeah, I understand. It's no problem to just download a few adblocks and such :)

Back