• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fog

opinion8ed2

This is an essay I wrote for my english class. What do you think? :confused:
-------------------------------------------------------

Fog

The student ahead of me holds the door open, and I quicken my pace to relieve his possession of the door. Nodding my thanks, I turn to make sure no one is behind me. Seeing no one, I release the door, and it clicks back into place. It's only a short walk out to the car, or a long walk, depending on perspective.
A heavy mist hangs in the air, coating my skin and chilling me to the bone. I shiver inwardly, feeling the intensity of the cold, the intensity of the damp. I reach my car, a million thoughts swimming inside my head, with one dominating: "I don't want to go home." But there is nowhere else to go, so, resigning myself to that fact, I press the button on my remote, and the car lights up in response.
I open the door. I slide into place, push the key in, and turn, careful to push in the clutch. I release the emergency brake, turn on the headlights, and push the gearshift into reverse, and then first. Then I drive-drive away, into the night, into the mist. My tires slide sideways and I slip across the road, out of control. I’m not in control of my car, not in control of my life.
Uncertainty is frightening. It’s a form of fear, a form of panic. It crawls into a person's chest and resides there, scratching away. At times, it gets restless and crawls into one's throat and lodges itself there, a lump that can't be removed by coughing or surgery. Then it creeps its way into a person's head, whispering thoughts of doubt and anxiety and causing headaches that aspirin won’t relieve, the kind of headaches that lack physical pain, the kind that are purely mental, like a storm of doubt.
I live with this parasite of uncertainty. Even as it causes confusion or panic, I continue walking along a path of which I know nothing, a path containing a myriad of difficulties, a path with sharp turns, potholes, and hurdles. These difficulties present me with two options-giving up or overcoming.
Persevering takes courage, it takes bravery, and it takes strength. It takes a hunger, a hunger for success, a hunger for more than I already have.
I keep moving ahead, not knowing which way to go, not knowing which way will bring success or failure, the failure that I fear so intensely, a failure that stares me in the face and threatens to devour me.
Yet somehow I survive. Somehow in the midst of uncertainty, I find a reassuring hope that everything will work out. My epiphany occurs when I learn that sometimes it’s best not to think. Sometimes it’s best to leap without looking for too long, without complicating the problem, without analyzing it.
The car behind me honks to urge me along. The light is green, and I rush through it. Prepared to battle the mist, I find that somehow the mist has thinned. Before me lies a path still littered with patches of fog, patches of fog I am now certain will disappear in time.

Okay, I'm not fond of critiquing others' writing, but since others have taken the time to respond to mine, here goes:

I like the images you evoke, such as "a heavy mist hangs in the air, coating my skin" and "it crawls into a person's chest and resides there, scratching away".

Would the beginning be more effective without the first paragraph? Since your title is "Fog" and you end the piece about fog, starting it with the second paragraph might have been stronger. You could still work in the line, ". . . a short walk out to the car or a long walk, depending on perspective".

I had a bit of trouble following the middle portion when you're talking about uncertainty, then abruptly change to "persevering takes courage". On re-reading, I see where you were going, but it seems you could have fleshed that out a bit more.

Overall, I really like your thinking behind this, but feel as though you could have elaborated more.

opinion8ed2 said:
Fog
The student ahead of me holds the door open, and I quicken my pace to relieve his possession of the door. Nodding my thanks, I turn to make sure no one is behind me. Seeing no one, I release the door, and it clicks back into place. It's only a short walk out to the car, or a long walk, depending on perspective.
I agree with Ell here; dull beginning to an interesting theme. It could be sharper. Better to begin with the paragraph below:
A heavy mist hangs in the air, coating my skin and chilling me to the bone. I shiver inwardly, feeling the intensity of the cold, the intensity of the damp. I reach my car, a million thoughts swimming inside my head, with one dominating: "I don't want to go home." But there is nowhere else to go, so, resigning myself to that fact, I press the button on my remote, and the car lights up in response..
'I don't want to go home' is a bit ordinary. Why not: "Please, not home."
I open the door. I slide into place, push the key in, and turn, careful to push in the clutch. I release the emergency brake, turn on the headlights, and push the gearshift into reverse, and then first. Then I drive-drive away, into the night, into the mist. My tires slide sideways and I slip across the road, out of control. I’m not in control of my car, not in control of my life..
A bit more repetition than necessary. How about:
I open the door, slide into place, push the key in, and turn. Careful to push in the clutch, I release the emergency brake. Headlights on, gearshift into reverse, and then first. I drive into the mist, deeper into the night. Tires slip sideways, wobbling out of control, same as my life.
Uncertainty is frightening. It’s a form of fear, a form of panic. It crawls into a person's chest and resides there, scratching away. At times, it gets restless and crawls into one's throat and lodges itself there, a lump that can't be removed by coughing or surgery. Then it creeps its way into a person's head, whispering thoughts of doubt and anxiety and causing headaches that aspirin won’t relieve, the kind of headaches that lack physical pain, the kind that are purely mental, like a storm of doubt.
I live with this parasite of uncertainty. Even as it causes confusion or panic, I continue walking along a path of which I know nothing, a path containing a myriad of difficulties, a path with sharp turns, potholes, and hurdles. These difficulties present me with two options-giving up or overcoming.
Persevering takes courage, it takes bravery, and it takes strength. It takes a hunger, a hunger for success, a hunger for more than I already have.
I keep moving ahead, not knowing which way to go, not knowing which way will bring success or failure, the failure that I fear so intensely, a failure that stares me in the face and threatens to devour me.
This section says something but doesn't say it well. My first thought is: who cares? If you refined it, maybe, just maybe, someone would care.
Prepared to battle the mist, I find that somehow the mist has thinned. Before me lies a path still littered with patches of fog, patches of fog I am now certain will disappear in time.
This last paragraph is great without the repetition of 'patches of fog'
Well done for the bravery to submit your work to critique. Don't let it break you. Overall good writing, but could be tighter. Flashes of good imagery all around.

Wow this is great. I'm really not offended by other people critiquing my writing. Which is why I posted it :) Thank you sooo much for your responses, they're really helpful, and something for me to consider when I continue writing. Thank you both so much!

Ugh and this was one I had to read aloud in front of the class. Not pretty...they all responded the same. "Huh?"

I got an 100 on it though, for some odd reason.

You got 100 because your teacher saw the beginnings of talent. It doesn't come out of a cereal box fully formed. It's wheat in the field that needs to be picked and formed and sugared to make the final product. Head up! It takes practice. But very good beginning. I agree with the other comments, so no need to add. :)

Back