• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

For a new Writer..

sinjinjoe

hello,

I would like to know if anyone has some advice for a new writer.

How do you go about creating your work? Do you plan it out or just write what comes to mind?

where do you write? and what is your insperation?

Thanx!

Your questions are pretty broad. They could fill a book. And you're in luck! On Writing by Stephen King.

writing

I think it begins with the right set of words which should take a writer in the direction they want to go.

For me it's the title. I absolutely have to think of a good title before writing anything. A few times I wrote a very good short-paragraph story but when it came time to think of a good title, the whole feeling I had about the entire piece soured not long after because each title that came to mind just didn't feel as though it fit.

It's like having a baby and not giving it a name until it reaches it's 20th birthday. Writing has to have an identity, I tend to link that to the title.

My title usually comes later. The first thing I usually do as a writer is write the first draft of something. If it's a short story, I write the first draft straight through and then spend hours and hours revising it. Many times I put a title on it at the end when I know more about the story and feel more comfortable with it. As for longer words (for instance, I am working on a saga right now) I try to follow a basic outline of "This happens here and this happens here". What I tend to do with longer works is write a lot, find a groove I like and then trash everything and go back and start again, this time with a more in depth outline.

(I trash everything--not literally, I still keep it but only use it as reference--because by that time I have decided that some of the characters/themes I used in a previous draft can be cut or combined. Also, my early drafts tend to be too quick and don't have enough dialogue.)

Working writers approach writing in a large number of different ways. Some plan carefully; some plan a little; some wing it completely.

Some start with characters, some with a plot, some with a theme. Some build the story from the top down, starting with a broad view and filling in the details; some start with the details and build up.

Some people easily write short works; some easily write long works; some do both.

To a certain extent, you're going to have to experiment to find out what works for you. The only really concrete advice I can give is that, if you're going to read books about how to write, read a number of them from different authors. They have many different methods and perspectives, and you don't want to get stuck thinking that something that doesn't work for you is the only right way to approach writing.

A lot of people suggest reading On Writing by Stephen King. I personally didn't find this book all that helpful--that isn't exactly right. There were helpful tidbits scattered throughout, but overall I think you could save yourself some time (listening to King toot his own horn). The two things I thought were the best part of King's On Writing:

1) If you spend an hour writing, spend ten hours editing.
2) 99% of what you write is crap.
3) Write 2,000 words a day.

And I'm even a little iffy on the third one. I can see how it would be useful to new writers (as it was to me years ago) but the more experienced you get, the less I think that is possible for some. Some people can and do write 5,000 + words a day, and they feel comfortable about that. I'm not one of those people. Some days I write 200 words, some days I write 10,000. For me it's just about writing SOMETHING every day.

One book I would recommend, though, is Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. His techniques are useful, but it is more than that. While reading this book I get INSPIRED to write--I get the URGE to write. It's the only on writing book that has ever done that for me.

Back