• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

For everyone, for anyone, for someone...

True@1stLight said:
But that's just the point, it's part of the dichotomy. If we are in fact all alone, then it also implies at the same time we aren't. Everyone would then share in the fact that we are alone, thereby giving us company.

In a way, that's a nice thought. But it's also like a load of billiard balls in the same rack. When the cue ball hits, we all go in different directions. But I'll always have the memory of the rack.

You know, I'm half yanking this chain. Maybe I'm just sour on shared hope in the post election season.

novella said:
In a way, that's a nice thought. But it's also like a load of billiard balls in the same rack. When the cue ball hits, we all go in different directions. But I'll always have the memory of the rack.

You know, I'm half yanking this chain. Maybe I'm just sour on shared hope in the post election season.

Can sympathize with that sentiment..... :D

Cathy C said:
Yep. :) It can be nudged by nurturing one way or the other, but a gentle person can seldom be moved to violence despite training, and malicious people alway have to struggle against it despite training.

I can tell from your tone that you don't agree, so we'll let it lie, I think...

Cathy

Don't agree with this either.....incessent training can override anything....except maybe the craving for Antonio Banderas according to Irene ;)

im lost because i dont want to find myself for purpose of laziness. so in fact im in a lazy circle of unknowingness about nothing except how i want to find something out.
pulls hair: :confused:

"We Are Not Alone"

Hi guys!

I think that "alone" is a state of mind. You can be utterly, devastatingly alone in a crowd, and perfectly content by yourself or with a pet. Or you can be the "belle of the ball" and have it be so superficial that you're not really "there". There are people who just need more social interaction, and others who need more affirmation and can only get it by being part of a like-minded group. (Which is part of the point of organized religion I think.)

I'm not sure where I was going with that. My mind just wandered off, by itself, alone (in the dark, in the rain... ;) )

lahondas said:
im lost because i dont want to find myself for purpose of laziness. so in fact im in a lazy circle of unknowingness about nothing except how i want to find something out.
pulls hair: :confused:

Sounds to me like you've already found yourself--your inner lazybones. One thing about being lazy is it's no fun if you're going to feel guilty about it. Commit to the laziness.

Yes! we are alone!

Edited:

ctadams, yes, we are alone. and this "being alone" is more than just a state of mind. actually, i tended to think it's been always a situation of mankind that not all of the people can accept or even be aware of.

But, True, i think what makes one's loneliness unique is how he/she face it. However, i got your point.To be honest, something's still stubbornly been clinging to my blood, which might be my archilles heel. anyway.

Novella, I liked this:In a way, that's a nice thought. But it's also like a load of billiard balls in the same rack. When the cue ball hits, we all go in different directions. But I'll always have the memory of the rack.

I interpreted it as something like: There was no trace left in the sky, but I have already flied by.

I realized that my interpretation was so mistakenly derived based on my misunderstanding at the first time. (But no one seemed not like to be "impolite" to point it out, or maybe no one even noticed it? :) ) anyway, was glad to find it out what mistakes i have made.

hay82 said:
Don't let the name "The Book Forum" fool you. I would say it's about everything, and thats probably a good things since most of the time I see a thread about a book or an author I go who, what, how ...? :eek: have to read more.

Hay

PS. Although I have no idea what this thread is about I still got to post a reply.. yeah :rolleyes:

:D :D glad to read your reply!

Cathy C said:
Yep. :) It can be nudged by nurturing one way or the other, but a gentle person can seldom be moved to violence despite training, and malicious people alway have to struggle against it despite training.

Cathy

Really??

So, Cathy, you do think one was borned as an evil? This is really going to be off-topic.

watercrystal said:
Really??

So, Cathy, you do think one was borned as an evil? This is really going to be off-topic.

"Evil" is subjective. We humans apply it to actions instead of internal struggle. But how do you explain a child in a comfortable home, with loving parents, with no previous psychological trauma viciously killing a classmate or a stranger for no reason? It's one thing to say that children "have no experience" in socializing, but most children (or adults) have a certain degree of empathy. If you tell Tommy "don't hit Johnny, or Suzie, because it hurts" they can usually apply that slim logic to the last time THEY hurt. But sometimes when the adult says "it hurts", Tommy's first thought is "Good." That's nature. Nurture can make Tommy contain the thought that it's Good, drugs can dull the leap from thought to action, but it's still his first thought. And sometimes that thought sneaks out into the open. Like the desire to taste human flesh, or feel someone's beating heart. Not all of the horror stories are in books and not all evil characters are just in print.

Of course, as always -- just my belief. I'm sure there are others. :) The argument over "Nature vs. Nurture" will never be won by anyone. Just not enough evidence to absolutely prove either side.

Cathy C said:
...Nurture can make Tommy contain the thought that it's Good, drugs can dull the leap from thought to action, but it's still his first thought. And sometimes that thought sneaks out into the open. Like the desire to taste human flesh, or feel someone's beating heart. Not all of the horror stories are in books and not all evil characters are just in print.

umm, i think i am understanding it a bit now. :)

Back on topic, what did you say, True@1stlight?

watercrystal said:
umm, i think i am understanding it a bit now. :)

Back on topic, what did you say, True@1stlight?

Lol, its' like you get a bunch of posts all wrapped into one w/ you crystal! You read it once, then read the edited version :) ......I'm lost, tired, and haven't a clue what Lahondas is referring to, so I'm taking a nap! G'night! :)

Back