• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

forgotten books

brainfruit

There are several books that made an impact on me whose author and title I cannot remember.

This is the story of an orange orchard in southern California throughout history. At one point, it was owned by a couple who couldn't have children. The wife was impregnated through a tryst with President McKinley on one of his whistlestop tours. The husband believes the child to be his own but grows to have an unnatural attraction toward the daughter. The wife reveals the truth on her deathbed and the daughter (step) goes on to have a relationship with the husband. The most recent story in the orchard is of a family where the mother has recently been murdered, possibly by the father.

A young man is known to be the casanova of the Hollywood scene. A director, Sydney Swinberg, hires him to teach him the tricks of the trade and find women for him to date. During this arrangement, the young man moves into Sydney's poolhouse and falls in love with Teal, Sydney's "roommate", a beautiful young woman under his protection. There is also a group of women friends called the "Reds", based on the fact that they always order something "red" at the bar.

When I saw the trailer for the new movie, The Wedding Date, that I had finally found this last book that I seek. It is about a hapless, young woman in New York who is looking for love. She goes to a wedding in England for her sister and asks her friend to accompany her as her date. The two end up falling for each other, of course, but as a twist, the sister seduces the date on the eve of her wedding night. This is not "Asking for Trouble", which IS the book that The Wedding Date is based on.

Can you help? I loved these stories and the titles have slipped my mind!

Back