• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Free E-book with Hard Copy?

Meadow337

Former Moderator
Author Bill Bryson has called on publishers to give away e-books when people buy the printed versions in order to boost sales of physical books.

The travel writer said he resented being "forced" to choose digital books over print because e-books were more convenient to take on the road.

"It would be such a terrible thing to lose physical books," he told BBC News.

"That's the direction we're heading in because publishers are not responding as effectively as they ought to."

The "solution to the industry's malaise" is to give buyers a free download code when they buy a printed book, he said.

His comments come weeks after Amazon announced a plan to offer buyers of printed books in the US a free or discounted digital version. Similar schemes have been rolled out for magazines and music.

"If they [publishers] don't move to that really quickly people will be forced to take the digital version whether they really want to or not," Bryson said.

"Somebody gave me a digital reader as a gift last spring and I now find that when I'm travelling I take digital books with me.

"I'd like to possess both versions but I'm forced by the book world to choose one or the other, and sometimes I'm being forced to take digital books.

"I've nothing against digital books but I want both. I'm being forced to make the choice and I feel that by buying a digital book I'm not supporting a bookshop, I'm not supporting the physical book and that makes me feel guilty.

"I'm being forced into that and I kind of resent it."

Bryson was speaking at the Booksellers Association conference ahead of the publication of his latest book, One Summer: America 1927.

Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association, said some companies had looked into bundling e-books with physical sales. "But it is important not to underestimate the enormous technical and commercial challenges behind what may appear to be a straightforward idea," he said.

Publishers are "leading the way in providing books in the format that consumers want to read them", he said, adding that "the physical book is going to remain a prominent feature in the market for a considerable time to come".

"The option between the wonderful mass portability of e-books, or the inimitable presence and feel of a physical book is an important choice, and one which readers are currently happy to make according to their needs."

Earlier this month, Amazon announced its MatchBook scheme, which will offer digital copies of 10,000 titles when they are bought in print. Some will be free, while others will cost up to $2.99 (£1.92).

At that time, independent book industry commentator Neill Denny told the BBC the scheme may help the print industry "because by bundling the content it locks the analogue to the successful digital model in a way that publishers have been struggling to find".

However, Philip Jones, editor of trade publication the Bookseller magazine, was sceptical about whether book-lovers would actually want both versions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24222420

This sounds like a good idea, there may be a few issues in practice, but a good idea basically. I love the feel of real books but I love being able to have a whole library on one device.

I sort of get his point but I'm not sure its a practical solution in and of itself. I would however love an ebook with a hardcopy kind of like you get a DVD / digital copy of a movie with a Blueray these days. It acknowledges the reality of taking something with you in digital format while avoiding you making a copy yourself.

Yes, they need a plan of action, and they need one that will work. Maybe what they should do is sell the books with some sort of cheap dongle like thing with the book that has the e-book copy on it. Maybe not a perfect plan but...:)

embed the electronic version in the back cover of the book to which you connect your dongle!

I think I just had a totally brilliant idea there! When this happens in the next year or so I'm going to use this msg to prove I had the idea first and sue for a % of the fees :rofl

That could work to...and they could make it a once of download so that you do get just one copy from it if they wanted to. There are options, they just need to think of them!

Some publishers of Roleplaying Games in Spain already do that. You get a coupon code with the hard copy, and you can exchange it in their website for a digital copy. It works fairly well and the fans like it.

All the publishers need to do really is find and settle on a plan. One that, hopefully, is not limited to kindle, amazon or any of the other big company's and works for everyone.

Amazon e-book services still leave a lot to be desired.

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/amazon-kindle-swindle

"Amazon knows what Amazon books you have on your Kindle, and we strongly suspect that it also has the back door capability to view and delete non-Amazon books remotely as well. This is not conspiracy -- we know this capability exists because Amazon has previously deleted copies of 1984 from users' Kindles. It is only supposed to do this if it gets a court order, but do you want your books to be vulnerable to that?"

However, Philip Jones, editor of trade publication the Bookseller magazine, was sceptical about whether book-lovers would actually want both versions.

Mr. Jones is out of touch with book-lovers. I want both versions -- one for portability, the other for my bookshelf in order to leaf through when I like. I hate having to choose between digital and hard copy, particularly for favourite authors like Atwood, Munro and Ishiguro. I refuse to buy both at full price.

Mr. Jones is out of touch with book-lovers. I want both versions -- one for portability, the other for my bookshelf in order to leaf through when I like. I hate having to choose between digital and hard copy, particularly for favourite authors like Atwood, Munro and Ishiguro. I refuse to buy both at full price.

Paying for both at full price is indeed an issue.

Once Amazon get around to setting it up, I'm going to give the option to buy my ebook at 40% if you buy the print. I just can't bring myself to give it away although that feels like the morally correct thing to do.

You buy the content. The media should be irrelevant.

Maybe I'll take a stance and make it free!

You buy the content. The media should be irrelevant.

This is one of the biggest lies in the literature world.

The pleasure of reading is the whole experience of it, not just what is written. If the media was WC paper, your experience would suffer. If the media had been written with caracters of half the size, your experience would suffer. If it had been written with illegible unstandardized fonts, your experience would suffer. Sure, you can read a book written with blood on a roll of toilet paper, but I bet you would find other media to be more comfortable.

There is a reason why some publishers print books in high quality paper in high quality ink, with a high quality finishing. It is because when you do a cheap printing, it shows. It makes a difference.

I both agree and disagree. I think that the better quality 'art' / 'collectors' book is probably how real book publishing is going to survive in an increasingly digital world.

I both agree and disagree. I think that the better quality 'art' / 'collectors' book is probably how real book publishing is going to survive in an increasingly digital world.

Most properly, what may happen is that the publishers will start printing collectible copys of the best selling books.

Back