• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

French Literature

Infinity

I'm not a native speaker of the French language. However, I signed up for a French literature native speaker course for next year. I'm quite worried. :eek:

I don't mean that my French is bad. It is not bad at all, but since I am only a schoolboy who has studied French for only 2 years, I don't know if I can compete with native speakers from France and other French speaking countries at the literature level. The Programme is IB Higher Level A2 French Literature; it is somewhat similar to AP French Literature, just that for IB I will have to read and do more works.

During those 2 years, I have to read 9 novels (and more major writings) in two years. I have to give oral defence and presentations of literary themes and things like that. Also, I will be the only person taking that French literature native speaker course during the next two years. This is some of the things listed in the syllabus that I will have to do.

Do you know of anything that can help me speak, write, and understand French like a native speaker? If you do, please show me.

Any advice, suggestions, helps are welcome. Thanks a lot! :)

For oral practice, I sing along to French music. You can also change to language settings on your DVDs to French. It can be fun to see how well you can keep up. You learn quite a bit that way. Of course the best way to improve your oral skills is to actually speak French with someone, preferably of a higher skill level than you.

Don't be afraid to tackle French books, since you'll be needing all the practice you can get for the next two years. There was a thread not too long ago with some good suggestions.

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=6354

That French music is a good idea, especially if you can somehow have the written lyrics in front of you. In terms of getting through the literature, you should work on your vocabulary in a major way. Buy a really thick French-English dictionary and try to look up and remember all the words you don't know... even try to use them in sentences, it might help.

And you have to really really practice with someone who's patient and will correct you on things like weird tenses and noun gender.

I was lucky enough to be able to go to France for study abroad and to live with a really nice host family for that time, so to practice all I needed to do was step outside my room. Sometimes I didn't feel quite up to it... :eek: but I sure learned a lot :)

Back