• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Frequencies - a segment of a memoir.

Peder

Frequencies

Oddly,
My passion for the Internet began
long before the Internet was even a dream
in anyone's mind, before the generation itself
was even born, while I was still a child
in my parents home.

Oddly, I say,
Because back then at age ten or twelve
I was still a very shy child with a shyness
that would last well into college
and even into early career before I finally
broke through it with a life-changing course
in public speaking with Dale Carnegie.

But earlier in my parents home I was reticent
around strangers and often tongue-tied
when introduced to friends of my parents
or asked to have speaking parts
in school plays or productions.

Nevertheless, and quite fortuitously, even perhaps
because, my father was interested in things electrical
and himself had been interested in radio
in its early days a generation before, as broadcast
stations and networks were coming on line
and the earliest radios were becoming available
to the general public (KDKA's first broadcast was in 1912,
my father was nine years old; the first commercai broadcast
of a baseball game in 1921, my father eighteen).

So, perhaps fortuitously, because of my father's interest,
our family radio had two short-wave bands
in addition to the ususal AM broadcast band
and thirty years later, in about 1942, at age nine
I became an avid short-wave listener. To what?
To broadcasts from Europe, of course; World War II was raging
and short wave brought the news of the Battle of Britain
to American listeners -- Thomas, Sevareid, Cronkite were the names.
The desire for news was overwhelming
And hearing stations directly from Europe with weak signals
through the crushing static was thrilling beyond belief.

And in among all those frequencies I found the bands
set aside for amateur radio, for sending and receiving signals
between ordinary people interested in radio
who had built their own short-wave transmitters and receivers
and could speak to each other across great distances,
even around the world.

A network centered in Hartford Connecticut became my main attraction
and I listened every morning as W1AW came on line and the members
roused themselves, chatted, had coffee, and started off to work.
I got to know about them as people, and I wished
how I wished that one day I could be a part of that group.

So began my interest in electronics and talking to people around the globe.
Why an extraordinarily shy child should develop such an interest
to talk to strangers is beyond me, but it happened and for many years, until college,
learning about electronics and dabbling with electronic equipment became my hobby.

But college demanded close attention to other subjects, and then starting a career also,
and amateur radio receded into the background.

Until many years later, when the first personal computers and the early Internet
burst into my consciousness, a disc from ATT arrived in the mail, and I logged on.
Suddenly all of the amatuer-radio short-wave thrills of my childhood came alive again.
And I was on the air!

"peder"
3/25/2013
512 words

Why an extraordinarily shy child should develop such an interest
to talk to strangers

for the same reason shy and socially dysfunctional people congregate on the net now - its easier to talk to strangers from the safety of anonymity than it is to talk to face-to-face with real people.

There is a peculiar kind of pseudo-intimacy in it.

Interestingly written. And it sounds like you have a very interesting life story to tell. And a wonderful way of expressing it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, even re the Internet as a whole. It is "pseudo" in so many ways. A pseudo-society of its own, with its own undefinable standards of behavior, different from normal face-to-face interactions; with "friends" in the main who are pseudo-friends, or at best acquaintances, who never meet and don't know each other personally, and so on. Not that it isn't or can't be a very pleasant place, but it is certainly not the real world; it can be Heaven or it can be Hell (Hotel California, is it then?)

Interestingly written. And it sounds like you have a very interesting life story to tell. And a wonderful way of expressing it.

Thank you for the compliment about expresing it. And interesting? Maybe, maybe not, depending on one's view of the increasing role of technology in human affairs.

Many thanks for your comments,
Peder

It was good and easy to read :)
Thank you very much for your reaction. I am especially thankful that you think it reads easily. The somewhat unconventional pseudo-poetic format for it corresponds more or less to a stream of thought -- the relatively free way that thoughts come to me while writing. Attempts to shape them into more standard narrative format -- with conventional paragraphing, sentence structure, punctuation and correct grammatical syntax -- tend to elude me, and end up draining the interest out of the block narrative. So this way feels comfortable to me for what I way to say, and I am very pleased that you were able to follow it.

Many thanks
Peder

I think you have hit the nail on the head, even re the Internet as a whole. It is "pseudo" in so many ways. A pseudo-society of its own, with its own undefinable standards of behavior, different from normal face-to-face interactions; with "friends" in the main who are pseudo-friends, or at best acquaintances, who never meet and don't know each other personally, and so on. Not that it isn't or can't be a very pleasant place, but it is certainly not the real world; it can be Heaven or it can be Hell (Hotel California, is it then?)

Thank you for the compliment about expressing it. And interesting? Maybe, maybe not, depending on one's view of the increasing role of technology in human affairs.

Many thanks for your comments,
Peder

Both? At the same time? When you read about some of the things that happen on the internet one feels like one is the only sane person sitting in a forgotten corner of an Hieronymous Bosch painting looking at all this insanity going on and wondering why no-one else seems to see it.

Once in a while some one sits in the corner with you and it is a little like heaven.

Both? At the same time? When you read about some of the things that happen on the internet one feels like one is the only sane person sitting in a forgotten corner of an Hieronymous Bosch painting looking at all this insanity going on and wondering why no-one else seems to see it.

Once in a while some one sits in the corner with you and it is a little like heaven.

I don't know how to describe the sociology of the Internet; any attempt absolutely defeats me. A Bosch painting comes close -- although, I can hardly complain, even after some of the roughing up I have been through. As in the real world, there is always worse, and one can find blessings of one's own to count. And BAR has settled into a pleasant place to be -- mostly. But for the Internet at large, or even book forums as a sub-population, there still be dragons out there. As you say, the moments of pleasure are enjoyable, find them where one may.

when speaking about behaviour on the internet I'm reminded of Terry Pratchett's formula for the intelligence of a crowd -

The intelligence of the creature known as a crowd, is the square root of the number of people in it.

Although I think for the internet we are looking at the cube root or smaller.

Although I think for the internet we are looking at the cube root or smaller.

I wouldn't be so quick to generalize, or so harsh. Mostly I think that is for occasional individual people who pull the curve down. And there are some, but fortunately for the moment, not here AFAIK.

hmm its like the 80/20 principle ... 20% of the net might be bright, good, intelligent, hopeful, decent etc, but the vast majority just seems to be place where the very worst of humanity has to offer operates with a fair degree of impunity

Again, I would say not here AFAIK. I have found BAR to be pretty pleasant overall and have had many meaningful discussions here. But if you want to know whether I have seen the cess pit, the answer is yes. The old Middle East forum (now discontinued) on the NY Times was full of absolute crazies such as you describe.

Please understand I'm talking about the net as a single entity, not specific individuals or aspects of it.

The technology is wonderful, but it somehow hasn't fulfilled the promise. Social networking doesn't connect people the way it should, instead it isolates them from real life and opens many up to bullying, abuse, harassment, stalking, con men and sexual predators. Is that every one's experience? Of course not, but it is prevalent enough that one could strongly argue social networking has not and does not do what it was supposed to. The rest of the net is not much different. It disseminates news faster than the blink of an eye, but has no filter or fact checker so lies are indistinguishable from truth. Twitter in particular suffers from this phenomenon to the point that you can't believe any 'news' disseminated in this way. At least not without double checking it.

Should the net be the most incredible educational tool - yes and it is - but every crackpot can post their alternative version of whatever and there is no standard to sift fact from fiction. If you are uneducated using the net to educate yourself would be very difficult.

for the same reason shy and socially dysfunctional people congregate on the net now - its easier to talk to strangers from the safety of anonymity than it is to talk to face-to-face with real people.

And I come to ask you, the society is a highly functional mechanism? :) It's a bit of philosophy involved in this question, so it's not a simple subject. Even normal people, like me, with very good social life, are attracted in the internet communication. The reason is much more complicated - we are intricate biological mechanisms, functioning on inter-dependency. The net is an artificial implementation of the inter-dependency principle found everywhere in nature.

And there are other reasons, one of them is related with the shy boy in the poem posted - the internet conversations disreagard the body language, and most of the time (if the person is sincere) a man / woman can relate very well on the internet, because the fear of rejection and judging dissappears.

But here comes another area of expertise - psycho-linguistics - where you can find how a person is by finding patterns in the written phrases. Isn't it wonderful? :)

Back