• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

From Goosebumps to now the riftwar

short_circuit

Hey
A few years ago I started to read Goosebumps. That is what started my love of reading. I am glad to say that I have now probably finished ALL of the goosebumps books including some of R L Stines more older works a long time ago. I have since then started to read more mature books like the lord of the rings. I am 15 years old right and I'm up to Daughter of the empire in the Raymond E Feist riftwar series. I like fantasy and Sci fi. Can you guys suggest good novels in both the Sci fi and the fantasy genre? I don't mind length as I can read quite a bit now. I would like novels with worlds like midkemia and middle earth and even more character driven, emotional stories. And name all your best Sci Fi novels.

Thanks, Ali

ps. I just joined the book forums so go easy on me

Hi Ali, Welcome. I can't really make any suggestions as I don't know much about Middle Earth or Midkemia. I can, however, point you to the Sci-Fi / Fantasy Forum. There's a lot of really knowledgable people who post in there. You might also be interested in some of the books mentioned in this thread.

Thanks a lot
Ill look into those books mentioned. And I'll start a list now of books I want to read since there are hundreds of suggestions I'm sure Ill encounter.

Welcome to the forum, Ali! :)

I'll second mehastings' suggestion to have a look around the Sci Fi and Fantasy forum for suggestions, but I'll recommend the trilogy by Trudi Canavan (The Magicians' Guild, The Novice and The High Lord).

I started reading fantasy with Feist too! I just adored Magician. The book series I read after that was David Eddings' The Belgariad series (the first book is Pawn of Prophecy). Getting through the prologue was a bit of a struggle, but after you've read the first chapter or two I think you'll be hooked.

I also really like Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, but it can be violent and have a fair bit of sexual content. Just a warning for you!

Finally, I've just started reading Guy Gavriel Kay. Tigana is my favourite book so far - it's just a stand along book. Awesome!

Welcome to TBF, Ali :)

I recommend that you try Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card:

New York Times
Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

And also the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, beginning with Outlander (aka Cross Stitch):
Amazon.com
In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.
While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

Back