• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

From lovers of amber and mead

Augustas

Hi everyone,

I saw this page, full of threads, where people introduce themselves, and I thought why not..

Seems like an interesting forum, I'll make sure to read, whenever I've got free time..

As for myself, I'm Augustas and I'm from Lithuania.. A tiny country, which most of you might not even know.. It;s near the baltic sea in central Europe.. Though even our nation is little, I have to say, that not only we are lovers of amber and mead, but lovers of literature as well.. Lithuanian literature has a great history, full of events, that were of great influence and led to the fact that some call us the nation of poets..

I personally am more of a prose guy.. Currently I am studying philosophy in our capital city (Vilnius).. Talking about literature taste, I was never able to find a more tough lover of the absurd then myself.. So obviously I'm into existential literature, existential prose, though not only french, but such germans like Hesse, or T. Mann are among my favorites as well..

The fact is, that like probably some of you as well, one of the reasons, why I'm into literature, is because I write.. Usually it's small pieces of prose, which at times turns into a mixture of prose, poetry and philosophical sophistications, which get printed in literature magazines time to time..

Anyway, I hope I'll get into your community pretty quickly.. Cheers..

May I end with a quote..
"He continued to powder words as golden dust, but stopped diluting ink with sweat and blood.."

Welcome to BAR.

I love amber and mead.

I collect amber with inclusions.

I also collect (and drink) mead. I like all kinds of mead: mead, sack, metheglin, pyment, melomel, and whatever other kinds there are out there.

Lithuania I hope to visit this year or next.

Hello and welcome! What a lovely introduction.

Nice to see that you're counting a few of my German countrymen among your favourites. Thomas Mann's "Buddenbrooks" and a few of Hesse's books are favourites of mine among German "classics".

I'm with ya on the prose part. What type of prose do you like?
Welcome to BAR. That always sounds odd to me but it is what it is.

There are couple of my native writers, who are great at short poetic stories, but I guess the names wouldn't tell anything.. As for the foreign writers, I enjoy novels, which have this existential taste.. Camus, Sartre.. there's Julio Cortazar, he's from south America, Agrentina I think, and what he managed to achieve in his novels is seriously epic..

I also used to be a great fan of Hesse, I kind of grew up and matured reading him, but as I'm finishing T. Mann's "Doctor Faust" at the moment, I'm starting to like Mann more and more.. The story and the personality of the main character is way more human-like, less like a saint, full of human-like sins and passions..

And of course there's a lot of others... In fact, one thing I can never resist, is the subject of city.. City, with all of it's people, which their passions, goals and relationships, I've always found it the best place search for existential meaning..

Back