• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Funny book?

Sevenseasofrhye

I'm looking for a kind of funny book... I really need one to get away from all the action and supsense books I've read. I really liked The Princess Bride and that's just about the only comedy book I've read. Any suggestions?

I suggest anything by Ben Elton if you like your comedy to be politically oriented. He's really the only comedic author I've read though. Try "Stark", or "High Society". There's also some good stuff by Nick Hornby like "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy." Don't be put off by the film version of High fidelity!!! :)

The books which always made me laugh the most tended to be Douglas Adams ones, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency being one of my favourites.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Sar said:
The books which always made me laugh the most tended to be Douglas Adams ones
Heh, I was just about suggest "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

It's probably the funniest book I've read.

Must confess that I still love The Twits, Roald Dahl had such a dark sense of humour.

hey if you like vampire stories and want to laugh really hard, try the UNDEAD books!!
there are two until now:
undead and unwed
undead and unemployed
both by mary janice davidson

More good authors

Laurel K Hamilton is the author of the Anita Blake series that is another funny vampire series. Also, Tom Robbins is an intelligent/political/humorous author that calls for a good time. But my favorite is Christopher Moore. His best book is Lamb: The Gospel According to Bif, Christ's Childhood Friend.

Sevenseasofrhye: you could also look in the Comedy section on this forum, where there are many excellent suggestions for funny books. :)

Well I seem to be sticking to the sci fi theme but funniest books I have read were the Red dwarf books.The TV show was funny but the books are a different class !! Believe me.

Paul :D

Thanks guys, I'm probably going to check out this Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... I've heard about the movie and i like reading books and then seeing the movies right after :)

I thought "A Bear Went Over the Mountain" (no, not the children's book) was really funny. I first picked up because of the cover but I loved it after I read it. Basically, it's about a bear who lives in the woods, and one day he finds a manuscript left under a tree. He goes on to publish the manuscript in New York City and it becomes a best seller/classic.

Clementine13 said:
I thought "A Bear Went Over the Mountain" (no, not the children's book) was really funny. I first picked up because of the cover but I loved it after I read it. Basically, it's about a bear who lives in the woods, and one day he finds a manuscript left under a tree. He goes on to publish the manuscript in New York City and it becomes a best seller/classic.

haha, sadly, that sounds funny and random too me, and i really want to read it now for some reason... i like stuff like that :)

Father Frank by Paul Burke is definately one of the funniest books I've ever read. Its about a guy who's really fantastic at being a catholic priest -raising money and encouraging people to go to church. Theres just one problem, he doesn't actually believe in God!
Made me laugh out loud all the way through.

If you wanted something more fantasy based, the 'Ronan the Barbarian' series by James Bibby is great. Lots of word play on place names etc. About a naive blacksmith's boy who becomes a warrior to avenge his father's murder. If you like the first one there are two more -'Ronan's rescue' and 'Ronan's revenge'.

Spiceymunkey said:
Father Frank by Paul Burke is definately one of the funniest books I've ever read. Its about a guy who's really fantastic at being a catholic priest -raising money and encouraging people to go to church. Theres just one problem, he doesn't actually believe in God!
Made me laugh out loud all the way through.
I think that i'm going to have to read that one too... so... what do i got... Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (i talked to people about it and they all said it was good), A Bear Went Over the Mountain, and Father Frank... sounds good to me... anything else? :)

Try The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith. Published 1892 but still very, very funny. I guarantee you'll never forget Mr Pooter, his dear wife, Carrie and errant son, Lupin.

Back