• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gail Tsukiyama

ishel

I wonder if there are any other readers of the novels of Japanese-American writer Gail Tsukiyama ("Women of the Silk" 1991; "The Samurai's Garden" 1996; "Night of Many Dreams" 1998; "The Language of Threads" 1999; "Dreaming Water" 2002)?

Several of her works (not sure if all?) are set in China and Japan in the 1920s and 1930s, a period presenting many opportunities for dealing with important and interesting themes and with endless plot possibilities. I am half way through "The Samurai's Garden" (my first of her works) and am highly impressed by the sensitive nature of her writing.

If anyone else is or has read her works, feel free to add your thoughts to this thread... I will probably add more as I read more (and will always mark potential 'spoilers' as such)

My mom was super into The Samurai's Garden and has been trying to get me to read it for ages. I've got it in one of my "To Be Read Bookcases" but I just haven't been able to get excited about it.

I just finished reading The Samurai's Garden the other day. I really liked this novel and it was also my first taste of Gail Tsukiyama's writings. I intend to indulge in this new interest further. Her next novel that I would like to read is Dreaming Water.

I like the constant theme of healing that we find throughout this novel. First with Stephen's illness that begins the whole story, but also the other physical and mental disabilities of other people whom we meet along the way. I was rather fond of Sachi in the story. It kind of surprised me with the emphasis that the author included the Nanking massacre, but also the reader gets an idea of Japanese suffering with the lepers like Sachi and the absence of young men during all the social gatherings because they're off fighting and dying like Keiko's brother. Matsu's views of the situation of the war by comparing Japan to a woman who is going to find herself in trouble is somewhat amusing. However, I do wish that the reader would be given the chance to see more of Kenzo before his suicide.

I read one book and had to run out to get all her others.
I can't wait to read her latest book. :D

I met Gail at a recent book signing for The Street of A Thousand Blossoms and got an autograph as well as a snapshot with her. It was a wonderful evening!

No one is allowed to touch my autographed book.

I met Gail at a recent book signing for The Street of A Thousand Blossoms and got an autograph as well as a snapshot with her. It was a wonderful evening!

No one is allowed to touch my autographed book.

Have you read this book yet, or is it for showing off? :D

I am thinking of picking it up as it sounds interesting and was wondering if it is good.

Back