• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Games, a waste of time?

Zolipara said:
That is far from the truth. Books can easily be just as stupid or even worse than any game or TV-show.
If you read the same book 10 times, every time you read it, you learn new things and induce more imagination. That's what I believe and see is true. But I would never read the same book 10 times! :rolleyes:

Samerron said:
I agree with you here. But you see the thing I’m concerned here is that people around me and around the globe are spending more time on games. As you said games are similar to watching TV, which indicates more means of this kind of entertainment is increasing. I’m not saying they’re bad but that they are not recommended, there are lots of better substitutes. I personally consider these kinds of entertainment as lazy activities (if it can be called an activity;) ).

Well, you can say a bit of here and there. :p

I don`t think they will ever replace books, (even with electronic books). But maybe its a bit like when tv first appeared, people thought this is the end of books. Most people will find a balance between books,tv and video games.

There will always be those who watch to much tv, play to many games or even read to much, if thats possible, but that may only be for a period in their life and then they will change.

I do think that if you can get a person interested in books at a young age this is a good thing as it may well stay with them through their life. Look at all the Harry Potter books that have been sold, it can`t be all adults buying them....maybe it the same young folks who play computer games.

But what ever we do, we are just killing time.

The big picture here is that in everything we do in our lives, it has some advantages and disadvantages. Depending on your personal judgment scale and current situation, you weigh the pros and cons and decide on doing it or not. The personal scale and situation can be greatly varied. Plus it depends on the options that are valid. For example, if you don’t know about a marvelous game that is out, then this option is invalid, but if you know about it, you would might leave your book, your gathering or whatever you were doing and go for it.
Well, as I indicated in my post number 16, the options of games and TV shows are increasing in numbers plus they are becoming more appealing and psychologically addicting, hence many teenagers of this and coming generations are highly probable to go for these rather than for example reading books.

I’m indicating this cause today most of the society around me lack the time or interest to read work of literature and the incentive to read is countered by the options I discussed above in addition to others.
In an article in a newspaper that I read recently says:
The little time they do [university students] have, they choose to spend with friends and family or watching TV. However, the lack of reading can lead to being less cultured and well versed. The extent that this could pose consequences on the development of society at large ought to be questioned.
I notice in the internet café many adults spend endless hours on games! and I consider it a major problem for a society. Reading has been substituted with the internet, the movies, TV and video games.

Ah well, I guess I moved out of the topic a bit, I will stop here :) .

By the way, do I sound like I’m talking philosophy or more of a sociologist? :p

Samerron said:
The big picture here is that in everything we do in our lives, it has some advantages and disadvantages. Depending on your personal judgment scale and current situation, you weigh the pros and cons and decide on doing it or not. The personal scale and situation can be greatly varied. Plus it depends on the options that are valid. For example, if you don’t know about a marvelous game that is out, then this option is invalid, but if you know about it, you would might leave your book, your gathering or whatever you were doing and go for it.
Well, as I indicated in my post number 16, the options of games and TV shows are increasing in numbers plus they are becoming more appealing and psychologically addicting, hence many teenagers of this and coming generations are highly probable to go for these rather than for example reading books.

I’m indicating this cause today most of the society around me lack the time or interest to read work of literature and the incentive to read is countered by the options I discussed above in addition to others.
In an article in a newspaper that I read recently says:

I notice in the internet café many adults spend endless hours on games! and I consider it a major problem for a society. Reading has been substituted with the internet, the movies, TV and video games.

Ah well, I guess I moved out of the topic a bit, I will stop here :) .

By the way, do I sound like I’m talking philosophy or more of a sociologist? :p

According to Wikipedia a sociologist is interested in the social interactions of people and their consequences, so I guess I`d say `sociologist`. With philosophy there are always more questions than answers.

For example....now that I have over 300 tv channels to watch on my television, why is it that I watch less television than I did when there was only 5 channels?

I think it depends on what games you play too. If you have a dull and boring game then it would be a waste of time. However, it could be considered productive if it challenges you and requires more than just button-mashing to get through the levels. A lot of my video games are puzzles or strategy-based like the card dueling system in the Yu-Gi-Oh games. Flashy graphics are not really so important to me as something that can make me think and I often find myself addicted to these games.

My friend loaned me his copy of Batman Begins last year and it was my first stealth game as it were. I often had to restart levels over, but I found it to be very fun trying to think of the best way to get through it without the typical rushing it and cut everyone up approach that you find in most games.

Also depending on what game you play, there can be a lot of reading involved so kids getting away from books isn't that much of a concern in certain areas. Even some of my PS2 games require a good bit of reading. Shadow Hearts doesn't really have that many FMVs so there is a lot of reading that needs to be done.

chris302116 said:
According to Wikipedia a sociologist is interested in the social interactions of people and their consequences, so I guess I`d say `sociologist`. With philosophy there are always more questions than answers.
Thanks for your feedback. Although I'm not studying sociology but interested in society interactions and its analysis.

chris302116 said:
For example....now that I have over 300 tv channels to watch on my television, why is it that I watch less television than I did when there was only 5 channels?
Simply, because you're a person who read books...;)

veggiedog said:
It also has to do with what the game is. Some games are nothing more than shooting people down, while others have some educational value. Most games require some form of thinking/strategy and help to develop reflexes. Anything in moderation is really okay, but once you start gaming for hours on end, it becomes unhealthy.

Here is a thought: Do you consider chess a game? And if so you must also acknowledge that there are many professional chess players. And then you look at sports - is basketball a game?

I don't think the professionals who play chess, or who play in the NFL would consider the games a waste of time. So, in my opinion, the answer is similar to many of life's answers: Yes and no.

Halcyon said:
Here is a thought: Do you consider chess a game? And if so you must also acknowledge that there are many professional chess players. And then you look at sports - is basketball a game?

I don't think the professionals who play chess, or who play in the NFL would consider the games a waste of time. So, in my opinion, the answer is similar to many of life's answers: Yes and no.
You have a point here, but I'm considering video games. Another thing, it seems that anything that is profitable is not considered as time wasting. Well, if someone is paid to play games to test them, comment on them or just excessively play the game to discover and reports bugs. In this case he's not wasting time...! :cool:

Back