• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Garth Nix - Childen's Fiction

Yes, I've read Sabriel and enjoyed it as an adult reader (a lady doesn't reveal her age!). Characterisation was pretty non-existent in my opinion, but it was a page-turner. I'll probably wait for the paperback edition of Lirael though.

I manged to get a cheap paperback copy from someone on ebay... since that time, its done the rounds in the office.. a great sequel...

ive got a paperback of sabriel and a hardback of lirael, the books are really good! The thrid one, Abhorsen, isn't supposed to be out until April! I dont think i can wait that long :'(

Originally posted by tartan_skirt
ive got a paperback of sabriel and a hardback of lirael, the books are really good! The thrid one, Abhorsen, isn't supposed to be out until April! I dont think i can wait that long :'(

I had it imported from US... it was def worth it.. sold it on ebay a while back now, thought i'd re-buy it for less in paperback in uk later on.

And believe me its without doubt worth the wait!... fantastic book

Looking back at my October post - I did succumb to temptation and bought Lirael in hardback! It was very good: I actually preferred it to Sabriel. Now I've got the first two in hardback I'll probably splash out of the third too! :)

#jumping up and down#

Abhorsen should be out on Monday here in Britain! :D woohoo! I'm going to be lurking around in book shops during the next week :)

leapylees said:
Both Borders and Waterstones near me (York) have had Abhorsen since last week. Am tempted...

Well the nearest Borders to me is in Glasgow, which is a long train ride away. And the nearest other half decent bookshop is Ottakars in Dumfries, which is still about an hours journey... other than that WHSmith half an hour the other direction. Thing is I haven't actually been out of the house since last Friday. Its the holidays and I'm ill, figures.

Must get off my ass this weekend. (Teenagers these days :p )

Are they really good?

I've been working my way thru the series and think they're quite good, very readable, mayb b/c they childrens fiction. I think the ideas are very good, although he does seem to have just looked at a history book to provide the settings. For example, most of the discription for the old kingdom just seems to be a 15th centry country, with magic, and the new world just seems to be Europe, beging at the turn of the 20th centry, and developing as it did. Other than that, i think they're very good.

I finally got around to reading Sabriel after having it on my TBR list for a while and thoroughly enjoyed. I have just ordered the next two books from Amazon and await with bated breath!

Well, I've finished the trilogy now, and have to report that I wasn't that keen on Abhorsen. I was pretty bored until the last third, when it suddenly became an interesting read. Of the three, Lirael was my fave, followed by Sabriel and then Abhorsen. I'm also reading Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series, and have read Mister Monday, which was pretty good, though complicated and rather nasty for kids! I've got Grim Tuesday, so I'll be reading that soon.

I agree that Lireal was probably the best out of the three, and that Abhorsen was the not as good as the others most the way through. I thought that the way that Abhorsen ended might be leading up to more books...
I read Mister Monday a while back and found it quite good, not as exciting as The Old Kingdom Trilogy but still entertaining. I should be buying Grim Tuesday soon.

I hear that Garth Nix may be selling the movie rights to The Old Kingdom Trilogy. I'm not sure I really want them made into movies because it would spoil how I saw the characters.

I've been enjoying the Keys series - both Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday were excellent. I love the idea of the main character having a health flaw. It makes him more real, and allows kids to believe that anyone can be a hero.

I agree, Lirael was definitely the best of the series... though imust admit that witnessing the ninth charter was anything but tedious :D as for the keys series, its wonderful! i cant wait for "lady wednsday" to come! i also enjoyed the seventh tower books, though they were an incredibly easy read. :D

Well I did get around to reading Lirael and Abhorsen and I thought they were both excellent. Not sure why others found Abhorsen to be slow - I thought the pacing was fine. Sabriel is more of a stand alone but I would definately recommend reading the other 2 one after the other - they would have worked as one book.

Am on a Garth Nix hunt now - as most of them are not published in the UK yet it will have to be Ebay!

Back