• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Genre poll: sirmyk's next short story contest

What's your genre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sirmyk

For the next short story contest, I'm letting you decide the genre.

You can choose more than one!

I was about to vote but the 'nothing erotic' threw me off, gonna have to go back to the drawing board and redecide my vote, :D

jenngorham said:
wait. so can i vote even though i won't be entering the contest?
Sure. You will have the choice to read these stories once they are submitted, right? So why shouldn't I give you a choice to help determine what type of stories are to be submitted?

ok thanks big scary bunny. i picked humour because i think it is the hardest thing to do; make someone laugh.

also wanted to add that i love these contests too. i think they are great fun and i really admire anyone who is willing to put their stuff up to be judged. :)

because i am not a writer.

i do feel that it is frowned upon. (if you get caught, LOL)

kidding you all kidding!!!!!

I was about to vote romance because being the unobservant twit that I am I thought this poll was about sirmyk's next story. I'd like to see him writing a boddace ripper!

liktareadmore63 said:
this might sound a little odd, but could someone give an example of a humorous novel? ive never read one thnx

The last "funny" novel I read was No Way to Treat a First Lady by Christopher Buckley.

This is pathetic...the 'nothing erotic' also ruined my vote. lol...sad.

Ummm, I voted literacy because its broud, and the brouder, the harder to choose! HAHA.

Humour could also be interesting though.
Lani

Maybe my third contest (if it ever happens) will be erotica. There seems to be some outspoken urge for that here.

I like this type of poll better than the last. I might use it for judging the next contest.

I almost checked "literary", but wasn't sure.

Is "coming of age" a genre?

If not, then I guess I would have to put my writing in the 'horror' genre, because it doesn't fit anywhere else. I certainly don't consider it 'literature'.

I hope humor doesn't win. I might have trouble with that.

leckert said:
I hope humor doesn't win. I might have trouble with that.
Yes, you are the most unfunny guy I know... :cool: Except for that new dude in the Crime section, currently arguing with Stewart and I regarding his self-published masterpiece.

:D This -- this was funny: :D

"Is "coming of age" a genre? ... If not, then I guess I would have to put my writing in the 'horror' genre, because it doesn't fit anywhere else."

For me to write humor...

I guess I could do it if I'm allowed to sprinkle these throughout: :D

:D

I have something I could contribute right now, already written, if I can use these? :D

liktareadmore63 said:
this might sound a little odd, but could someone give an example of a humorous novel? ive never read one thnx

liktareadmore, this is my specialty! There are humorous novels that are just plain old fiction, and there are lots of other humourous novels in genres. One that's in plain fiction is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore. Very funny. More suggestions:

Science Fiction: Connie Willis, To Say Nothing of the Dog
Fantasy: Robert Asprin, Another Fine Myth
Romance: Jennifer Crusie, Welcome to Temptation
Mystery: Janet Evanovich, One for the Money AND Carl Hiaasen, Skin Tight
Women's Lives/Relationships: Barbara Kingsolver, The Bean Trees

If you want more suggestions, check out the Top Ten List of Best Humor Books thread under Bookshelves--->Humor.

I voted for humour (note the 'u'). I'm not going to produce something for the contest, but I would really like to read some of your short stories in the humour vein. Having read a lot of the writers on this forum I think it would be neat to read some quality funny stuff! Unfortunately, my writing exploits (amateur as they are) are on hold while I'm doing my creativity-starving thesis.

Back