• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George Alec Effinger

direstraits

George Alec Effinger, late husband of author Barbara Hambly, wrote a wonderful scifi series centered on a scruffy-looking scoundrel of a detective called Marid Audran set in the fictional city of Budayeen. The first book is called When Gravity Fails, and the second A Fire Under the Sun, both of which I've read and enjoyed. The 3rd book is called Exile Kiss.

He also wrote a prize winning short story called Schrodinger's Kitten.

Anyway, he made a jump to the computer world when a computer game was made set in his Budayeen with Marid. The game is called Circuit's Edge and it was this game that brought him to my attention. I still have this game (it's very old).

Anyone else heard of him and enjoyed his works?

ds

ds,
I read When Gravity Fails several years ago. I have to admit that I thought, at the time, the novel was dreadful. The pace of it seemed all wrong.
I suppose that I do owe it to him to read it again. I mean, either it really was that bad, or I just missed the boat entirely.

:D

Well, first impressions count for a lot, and if you remembered it being bad, then unless you're really sure, I'd say give him a miss. There are plenty of other stuff out there. :)

My first exposure to his work is through the game, and while the game is not a sophisticated piece of gaming that you'd see nowadays, with fancy graphics and whatnot, it did have an effective interface and a bloody good storyline. I was enthralled in that world, and it's actually so good that I replay the whole thing in its entirely almost annually. :)

I supposed my perception is coloured when I approached the book, but that said, I still enjoyed it - the seedy dangerous world he lives in is facinating, and the nature of his work quite interesting as well.

I'll say that I enjoyed When Gravity Fails more than A Fire Under the Sun, though.

ds

I seem to remember that I read him back when I was reading William Gibson, and had prob'ly just finished Zelazny's Lord of Light. So, there was a let down factor involved. I also think that if I approached the book as a kind of alt-future/noir mystery rather than a work of science fiction, I might have a different reaction.
At the time, with all due respect to the late Mr. Effinger, I also thought his prose tended to be florid and over-wrought.
Anyway, there are plenty more out there to read, as you say.

Back