• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George Orwell: Animal Farm

Now that Boxer is dead there is no possible way that the farm will prosper without the work ethic of Boxer. BOxer was a loyal worker and Comrade of Napoleon's and now that Napoleon had himm slaughtered it is obvious that Napoleon only cares for whiskey and money to buy whiskey. THe Author intends to tell us that with totalitarianism the people that really suffer are the working class people. THey are the ones who hold the burden and they are th eones who get screwed over by the leaders.
I think Orwell chose the pig because it has been stereotyped as a filthy disgusting animal which is lazy and fat. THis really represents the type of character that Orwell was going for.
I think that the communist state of china is represented well in this book. THey claim to be communist, yet they have free trade with other countries and they do not have closed borders. THis is exactly like the book because the people are being lied to.

I do not agree that life in the USA would be perfect if everyone were totally equal. If everyone were totally 100% equal we would never acomplish new things. Never have new ideas for new inventions because everyone would have the same mind. The same learning compasity.

Everyone must respect one another.
Treat one another as you would like to be treated.
Don’t take things from other people.
Don’t put one another down.
Everyone must wear the same clothing.
You must ask permission on what you may buy and what you maynot buy.

I don’t think there would be any way for the mentally, physically or socailly behind to catch up. I would give them all a separate section where they would help eachother catch up. Then they wouldn’t feel behind. Everyone in that area would be at the same level.

People would start to rebel against the leader that is telling them that they all have to be the same. I would try to convince them that it is a good thing that everyone is the same. Then there would be no hard feelings.

I do not believe that total equality is possible. Yes, you can make people dress the same, and possibly make them act the same but you can never take away their thoughts. You can never make them “think” the same as everyone else. Therefore, no one could ever be exactly the same.

Boxer gets taken away to the glue factory and a different pig, squeeler tells all the animals that he is going to a hospital. The farm starts to fall apart The pigs basically are taking over the farm. Whatever they say goes. They start acting like humans more and more.

I think Orwell chose pigs to be leaders because pigs are drity, filthy animals and alot of people look at our leaders like that.

The pigs ruling all animals reminds me of life today. we have on group of leaders?on major leader to let us all know what it is we can do and what it is we cant do.

What is your reaction to the book now that you have finished it? What is Orwell trying to tell us? Or warn us about?

How is this book comparable to Lord of the Flies?

The farm is crumbling as predicted. Boxer gets hurt and is taken to the glue factory because he cannot provide good work anymore. Napoleon told the animals that he was being taken to the hospital, but Benjamin read the van and told the others what was really happening. Squealor informed them differently and made up a story about how Boxer was actually taken to the hospital and how he was with him as he died. Napoleon is now a full-fledged dictator. He is acting completely like a human-being. Under Napoleon's cruel orders and without Boxer, Animal Farm is collapsing. Life after the rebellion has turned sour, and the pigs are ruling unjustly and brainwashing the other animals.

Orwell chose to use pigs because of thier simmilarity to humans. When you call a person a pig, u are refferring to them as rude, selfish,etc. Basically as emily put it, it is an insult. And that is what Orwell was trying to signify--that being a human being is an insult because of the way we treat others that we feel are less significant.

Squealor is like the media. He makes up stories to cover up the pigs' behavior. He does anything in his power to make the animals see his point of view. I also have to agree with Emily on this one-- that the US blames their problems on other countries or other people. It's hard to accept when you are wrong or when you make a mistake, and that is why we like to blame others for our own faults.

Orwell is trying to warn us about the way society works. No matter how hard we may fight for equality, it never seems to work that way, because it is probably impossible. Someone always rises to the top, greedy and wanting power. Leaders like Napoleon are trouble. Someone who thinks that they have just cause to break rules, do what they please, and call themself better than others is unfit to lead. Yet so many people in our society are like that today.

The book is comparable to Lord of the Flies in that they both started out with an organized government. After the rebellion, the commandments were followed, the work was equally split up, and life was happy. That was how it was in Lord of the Flies too. Then as time goes on and the hunger for power grows stronger, corruption overcomes both Animal Farm and in Lord of the Flies. People like Jack and Napoleon were the cause of the Animal Farm crumbling and for the lack of any government or order at all in Lord of the Flies.

The book was interesting, and really made me think about society. I think that he is trying to warn us about what can happen when one person takes too much power. You have to watch out because when everyone is on their side, half the time they don't realize that everything is going down.

Animal Farm is comparable to Lord of the Flies because in both novels they tryed to set up their own form of gov't. At first everything goes well, and everyone is happy and excited about their new creation. Then everything started to get out of hand. In LotF there were power struggles as in Animal farm, and rule breaking, and everything just went down hill from there. In LotF the kids got out of control and in the Animal Farm the leaders themselves were the ones that went out of control. Neither of their socities worked out.

Why do you think Animal Farm failed? Could it ever have succeeded? Would thinks have turned out differently if Snowball would have continued as the leader?

In this section, two major events occur. The windmill is blown up by the farmers and Boxer falls when he is working in the field and is taken away. Squealer tells the animals on the farm that Boxer is being taken away to a hospital where he will get better but is actually taken to a glue factory. Squealer then explains that the van was from the hospital but was just recently bought from the slaughter factory. Napoleon tries to hide the truth from the animals becuase they want them to follow him and to listen to him. Now that Boxer is no longer with them, they have lost the great work mottos that he had. By Napoleon killing the only really hard worker that he had, he shows that he doesn't care about the animals on the farm but only himself. I think Orwell is trying to tell us that when someone rules unfairly, the working people of that country are the ones to suffer and carry all the weight.

I think Orwell chose pigs as the leaders for a reason. We generally think of pigs and lazy, fat, and dirty. This is the kind of personality that he wanted us to think of the leaders in. They are lazy and don't care about what happens to the rest of the animals but only about their comfort.

I believe that this book represents the dictators of the world today. It also shows how political leaders can lie to us and we don't even realize it. We are so brainwashed that we believe everything that they say and most of us don't even second guess them. Squealer definatly protrays the media. He covers up what Napoleon does and tries to make everything seem okay and doesn't admit the fact that times are rough and something needs to be done about it.

The ending of the book was quite predictable, yet I believe that unlike Lord of the Flies, it represented the rest of the story quite well. THe author shows dedication and discipline by writing the tragic ending becuase it shows the point of the book was more important than the popularity. ANother important aspect of the ending was that the story came full circle. THe pigs turned into humans, which was gradually happening all the time, and teh animals still had a harsh and meaningless life. This is a very bold statement by Blair. Maybe the animals are meant to be worked to the bone and to lead harsh lives. I think Blair knows every person in power will eventually become corrupt without the normal checks and balances.

I liked this story better than lord of the flies because it was a satire that confronted controversial issues of the time. IT took balls for Blair to write it and the ending confirms the fact that blair wanted to convey his message rather than write a great story.

Animal Farm failed because it was ruled by a dictator and not a committee. The pigs did nto come together to help all the animals, rather they divided and helped themselves. Animal Farm was a community which was a geunia pig. THey had no idea what it took to run the farm financially, and even though they liveed on the farm for a number of years, none of them had the slightest idea of what Jones did. It is obvious that Snowball would not have been a perfect leader, for he allowed the milk and apples to be saved only for himself and the other pigs.

I liked the book for the most part. Although everything that happened in the end was foreshadowed, the ending was still good. I would have liked it a little more if there would have been some surprise in the end.

It was foreshadowed from the beginning that the farm would fail and the leaders would be unloyal to the cause. They broke all of the commandment and then changed them into one commandment that completely contradicted the cause of the rebellion. They pretty much rebelled for nothing because their hardwork left them in worse conditions than they started with. The pigs turned into humans and became slavedrivers.

Orwell is trying to tell us that all animals and people are inherently evil and corrupt. If we want to fight for a cause we better make sure that people are in it with their whole hearts because otherwise history will just repeat itself. When given the opportunity people will abuse their power to better themselves. People don't learn from history; they make the same mistakes.

This reminds me of TLOF because the author's message is basically the same. Golding felt that all humans are inherently evil and outside of the confines of society will turn into savages. Orwell also believed that without humans to run the farm that the animals would turn evil and would follow the path of the humans. In both stories the characters involved lose the confines of actual society in their own right. Both of the new societies failed.

The farm failed because the pigs abused their power and broke the commandments. They lied to the other animals and gave themselves special privileges. They didn't work, they ate better food, drank alcohol, and lived in the house. They killed those who were threats. It couldn't have succeeded because some one would have had to take control of the farm and lead the group. The leader would have gotten selfish. If there wouldn't have been a dictator Jones probably could have won a battle against the animals. Snowball would have made conditions better for a while, but he wasn't intimidating enough to keep his power if some one wanted to rebel against him.

The Animal Farm failed because of the poor leadership of Napoleon. If it weren't for him it may have worked out. He just got way too greedy, and did not think of the well being of the other animals.
I think the farm could have worked with a different leader. The leader would of had to be more compassionate, and care for its workers. If Napoloen wouldn't of had such long hours, and would have shared the feed equaly there probably would not have been a problem. But, when the pigs really started running everything and sort of brainwashing the other animals everything fell apart. Snowball may have been a better leader. He wasn't much the type to plot, and think of ways to help himself out. Maybe if Snowball would have been the leader the true animal farm would have worked out, and all the animals would have been happy.

:cool: I liked the book. It reminded me of WWII. I think that Napolean was an animal Hitler... Orwell is trying to warn us that we need to be very careful as to who we trust politically. Otherwise you will end up in a situation that you may not have control of.

The LOTF and Animal Farm are very similar. In both books, the groups are out to start up their own government and live by their rules. Both fail and everyone except the leaders end up miserable. Its funny how the leaders first get the support of the rest and then use them to get what they want.

Animal Farm failed because communism is only a temporary thing. Almost all communist countries that were operating were over-run. There gets to be a point where the people of that country catch on to what they could have with out communism and then a little while later, they realize that if they all stand together, there is more of them then those who want it and they take over.
I think that animal farm could have survived under snowball. I think that Snowball could relate to the animals better then Napoleon. Snowball would have been more like a president representing the animals where as Napoleon was the dictator. I think that animal farm would have run the farm very successfullly.

Animal Farm failed because it was ruled by a dictator. The pigs broke the commandments and were greedy. Animal Farm would not have succeeded because every situation like this needs a leader to step forward. Eventually that leader abuses his power and that's when things begin to fail. I think if Snowball was the leader, things would have been different. Snowball cared more about the other animals than Napoleon did, but eventually I think Animal Farm would have the same fate, because I think Snowball would abuse his power as well. He already was by eating all the food and taking all the milk. Animal Farm was doomed from the beginning because the pigs were put in control, and that was the first mistake.

On the pages 88-116, from this point the animals are growing apart worse. Napoleon is taking advantage of the animals, only giving them enough food to make them work.
Napoleon and Squelor lie to the animals continue to change the amendments to suit his desires, requires a public celebration of his birthday, gives himself additional titles, and treats himself to drinking whiskey, which wasn't allowed in the first 7 amendments. Napoleon also tries to set farmer against farmer, but the plan backfires. He is tricked by Frederick
when he is paid for timber with counterfeit money.When Frederick destroys their windmill, which is their pride and joy, he
forces them to retaliate Napoleon vows revenge but ironically, it is the humans that gain most of the revenge during the battle.
In the battle, two geese are killed and many cows and sheep are injured. Napoleon is wounded in the tail. Finally, the fierce dogs force the men to take flight, but not until the animals have paid a heavy price. In spite of the losses, Napoleon orders that the animals rejoice in their victory. The flag is hoisted and tributes are paid. Napoleon makes a speech and names the fight the 'Battle of Windmill'.
The major themes of this book are good vs. evil, sad triumph of evil over good, Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts and equallity always gets overpowerd.
Owell might of used the pigs as the dominators of the farm because they are stereotyped as being greedy, big, lazy, messy and sloppy. He choose them because sometimes people that work hard in life, don't always get the benefit of the doubt in being a leader. Sometimes the most lazy or stuck up people get what they want and the hard workers dont get recognized.
I agree with Ms. Thiel that propoganda takes over in our society. Everyone is so focused on everyone else's lives in the media and tv that we hardly can stay out of other peoples gossip. Also even in sports, there always has to be someone that trys to take over that may not be the best and make the team fall apart. It happens anywhere in work, school, etc. . . . . Some people are just treated better than others.

1) I disagree with that statement because if everyone was free and equal i think there would be more cayous and people would start thinking that they can do anything they want and it would end up like the riots like in the 60 and 70's there were alot of riots that were caused because there wasn' enough freedom,but if the world was all free there would be nothing to fight about so people would make somepthing to fight about. THe world would become cayotic. 2) Everyone is equal my laws would be no drunk driving must be 16 to get your licence, i would also have marijuana legalized, and i would have all the same amendments and basically all the same laws just no drunk driving and no people littering and if they are caught littering they would be senticed to like 200 hours comunity service picking up the garbage on the side of the roads and in parks so we could keep the o zon layer alive. 3)IF i meet a person that had mental disabilitys i would help them in any way i can ind if i could not help them i would hire someone to help them.
4) I think if i would run into nay proublem is in the u.s or world and riots starting breaking out or animals trying to take over the farms i would go world wide oin tv and try to solve the proublem by speakintg to the world and having people call in and say what they need to say to say it and have like people on the phones wrightiong down what the peoples proublems are.
5)i think theat people would end up dominating others because not everyone can deal with freedom i mean most of the world would but then there is proublems like rtacism different cultures like indian,islamic,so on and ther is diferent religion that we have proublems abot today like cathilic, christian, jewish and so on,.
so i go woth the statement that we the people would end up dominating the world with are selfish ways. HERE IS MY EMAIL IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS slois8@aol.com

I liked the book, Orwell's style in the novel is simple, sensitive, observant, straight forward, and honest. Its pretty obvious that Naponleon is the dispectable, boxer is heroic and Snowball is the true leader. Orwell relates the story as though he were writing history. The irony of the book is that at the end, with the animals in control, things are exactly the same as at the beginning when the humans are in control.

"Lord of the Flies" and Animal farm are simular despite the vastly different themes and story lines, both display similar meanings. Orwell’s story tells of farmyard disorder and the fatal lives of a group of farmyard animals. It is just as politically minded as Golding’s tale of a life or death situation for a group of boys stranded on an island left with the supposed task of installing democracy into their new lives. But the endings contrast. . . .

The animal farm failed because of the "dictator" brainwashing, lying, breaking commandments and abusing every situation they could from the other animals. Snowball would of been a great leader because He is more vivacious, quicker in speech, and more inventive than Napoleon. He is also much more concerned about the welfare of all the animals. He proves that he is a good thinker, strategist, and planner. Thats exactly what a society needs someone intelligent, he broke the strerotype of a pigs has.He not only plans the 'Battle of Cowshed' in advance, but also fights bravely during the battle and is acclaimed a hero and decorated after the victory. Snowball acts as well as he thinks. As well as a dreamer, He dreams of a world of practicality and machines, symbolized by the windmill, which he believes will make life easier for all the animals.
Its crazy how one person can create a "hell" like society exctally to what Hitler did in WWII.

Back