• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting into Shakespeare

GatorDeb

I'm looking for a book that has ALL works (or as close to all) with annotations. Also, I heard there are books that have the original on one side and a "modern English" translation on the other... anyone know of something like this?

Thanks! :)

GatorDeb said:
Also, I heard there are books that have the original on one side and a "modern English" translation on the other... anyone know of something like this?

One of my books of Sonnets has the entire poem translated on the opposing page, but I can't find it. I have a few other books that somehow didn't get returned in High School that have nice explanations of terms on the opposing page. Those are all "New Folger Library" editions.

The best Complete Works of Shakespeare with annotations, in my opinion, is put out by Pelican. It is usually hardcover, and not often sitting on the average bookstore bookshelf - i.e. you may hafta order it. But it is worth it - the annotations aren't "translations" or anything like that, but just notes about words and references that would be lost on us otherwise. And everything is in there - the plays, the sonnets, and the poetry. Plus, because it is hardcover, it will sit open on your desk (or wherever you read), which, for a *complete* works collection, is a plus, in my opinion (i.e. often the paperback volumes of these things are nearly impossible to handle because they won't stay open, and they resemble nothing so much as a cinder-block). :)

D

Back