• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting Logged Out (and losing your post)

lies

Logging in/Logging out

I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem, but this has happened to me quite a few times. When I'm typing a reply to a thread, and I'm taking my time (I think that "taking my time" are key words here) the forum --how should I put this-- "logs me out", so when I hit the "submit reply"-button, instead of posting my message, I have to log in again.
I wouldn't really mind having to do that if it didn't mean I had to retype my message again. Most of the time me taking my time means me looking for words, ways of putting things... and I forget them after a while, so after the logging in part I have to come up with new words and new ways of putting things. (pretty exhausting to be honest)

So, to cut a long story short: I was wondering if it's possible to make sure this doesn't happen too much? Like make sure you stay logged in, even if you haven't posted anything or haven't browsed the forum in --I don't know-- the last 15 minutes? I'd be ever so grateful for that ;)

loggin out

lies,

Sounds like you are "timing out"? It's never happened to me on this forum, but it has in others. Maybe Darren can answer this.

A temporary solution for you might be to use "Notepad" or other simple text program on your computer to compose whatever you want to say, then copy and paste the finished comment to the forum all at once. That way, you can take your time, edit to your heart's content, and not worry about losing what you've already written. You can have both the forum and the text program open to refer back and forth. It's also helpful if you suddenly lose your internet connection.

I'd like to know what's up with the amazing speed that I get bumped from the site for not doing anything, when I am in fact posting. If I don't hurry up with this post, it'll happen here. Admittedly, all you have to do is back-up, highlight your post, hit Cntl+C, forward to the re-login screen, log-in, find the thread again, and hit Cntl+V.

But I, like many others, am lazy. Now, if I started a post and wandered away for a half an hour, then posted, I could understand. But in the time it takes me to make a full reply to either a well-thought out post (thanks novella! can't wait for the next one!) or to a whole horde of other posts (as is wont to occur in this subforum), I get knocked, and after the 7th or so time (considering my low post count, that's a significant percentage), I've come to air my minor grievance. *grin* *airs*

Ahh, I feel better already. *smile*

Me, me, look at me!!

Condolences, Acolyte - I've had this happen! I use IE, as well, but never the Quick Reply thing - I don't even know how that works, in truth. If I log out of the Forum (which I do very rarely and only when I want to stop the temptation to easily check back on various threads) I will almost always get logged out while i am replying to a message. It seems that if you don't have the cookies on your machine, then your logout time is a lot more rapid.

That being said, I never check the 'remember me' box, yet I still get cookies that remember me if I don't log out - even after restarting the computer, which I do each day. It won't remember me the next time I log in, but it will the third time, and every time after that!

Hmmm, that IS odd.

I use IE and use various internet connections, ranging from cable to broadband to sweeeeeet university ethernet.

If I'm making a long post, though, (I don't use quickreply) when I hit Submit, it directs me to a page that says "You are not logged into TBF. Please log in." Then I have to go through the steps outlined above to make sure my long post was not written in vain. I assumed it was a feature of the board, a sort of self-policing thing that kicked people off for not doing anything (for example, closing a browser but never logging off, which could include lots and lots of people over time if they never returned).

I've never heard of a board that had different settings for other people....maybe I should start using the Remember Me button...

But thanks, even though the cloud of spam in the latter part of the thread was a bit unsightly. *wink*

Acolyte said:
If I'm making a long post, though, (I don't use quickreply) when I hit Submit, it directs me to a page that says "You are not logged into TBF. Please log in."

....maybe I should start using the Remember Me button...
Interesting - okay i'll log out for a while and then log back in without checking the 'remember me' box (i'm always logged in on this machine). I'll open up a new reply and leave it for over 5 minutes before I try and submit it and see if it happens to me. How long on average do you take to compose a reply? 5 - 10 mins? I may have to leave it longer if that's the case.

Ok - test completed.

You are logged out after a period of 15 minutes of inactivity if you do not have the 'remember me' box checked.

I tested after 5, 10 and finally 15 minutes. Anything under 15 minutes is fine - it's when you go over this you get logged out.

HTH :)

Just thought of something else. Maybe my computer automatically remembers me after 2 log ins because my security settings are lower than yours - that is, it retains some cookies whereas yours is not.

What happens if you don't hit the log out button, Acolyte? Does it remember you next time you go in? If so, you should never have this problem again.

Interesting. I'll try marking the 'remember me' box *ignores the musical tune creeping into his head*. Thanks again.

Update:

After clicking the "remember me" button, I no longer have this problem.

However, the "new posts" buttons next to threads still go away after 15 minutes of inactivity. Alas.

Oh, you know what I do? I hit the 'New Posts' button on the welcome page as soon as I come in. Then I keep using the 'back' button until I've read them all. To see new posts I just hit 'The Book Forum' image at the top of the page and see if there are any new posts. They don't reset until I log out, or until some kind of time limit. Given the fact that I might have 300 new posts to scroll through I use the 'back' button to ensure that I get 'em all!

logged out

Is there a time limit on being logged in? Nearly every time I write reasonably lengthy reply, when I go to post it, I'm told I'm not logged in ( although I was when I started the post). It meant I had to start all over again. I've just had it happen again, its really disheartening. :(

Is this my browser or something at my end? If I'm just posting quick replies I can stay on here for hours.

francesca said:
Is there a time limit on being logged in? Nearly every time I write reasonably lengthy reply, when I go to post it, I'm told I'm not logged in ( although I was when I started the post). It meant I had to start all over again. I've just had it happen again, its really disheartening. :(

Is this my browser or something at my end? If I'm just posting quick replies I can stay on here for hours.

You go to post and it asks you to log in - enter your log-in info and "enter". This will bring you to a what should have been your post. Use the function that lets you go back to the previous page - keep doing so until you reach your intended post - select the post button. You can also copy your intended post just to be sure you don't lose it.

I do this all the time.

francesca said:
Ok, thank you all for looking, Ive had a read through and I'm going to try a combination of things, and see how it plays out. I'm also typing very very fast!
Just copy (CTRL C) the text before you post - that way, if you are logged out (which shouldn't happen if you click 'remember me') you just need to paste it back in.

Just checked in and some some more helpful suggestions here, thank you all very much, I'm now training myself to tick 'remember me'..it was silly of me not to think of using the back button, I think a red mist must have descended every time I 'lost' my post...I'll keep all this in mind if it happens again

Thumbs up

Getting Kicked Off

Sometimes, if I am typing a long post, or am visiting another site while still on this one, I get kicked off and have to re-log in. It gets quite annoying and I was hoping for some feedback from the mods.

When you log on Vesper, there is a little box that you can tick, I think it says remember me or something like that. It's at the top there where you type in your user name and password. That way you'll stay logged on.

I tend to keep my posts short and to the point (hopefully) so that people won't accuse me of posting drivel and rambling incoherently. (Believe me, I've done both! LOL!) Seriously though, I personally tend to skim or avoid super long posts that others write, so I've learened to apply that lesson to my own postings by keeping them concise. It's the short attention span in me. I guess a super short post like "LOL!" or "I agree" is too short but a 1,000+word manifesto is too long. You need a happy medium.

Back