• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting the Most Out of Reading

just to expose my complete ignorance

Halcyon said:
I want the ability to analyze and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it, to analyze relationships among component parts of sentences, to recognize relationships between words and concepts, and to reason with words in solving problems. Why? Because this represents a better level of understanding than just reading for fun. cough cough... and.. umm.. that's what the MCAT verbal section tests. :D You've all been so helpful. Thank you!

What's an MCAT verbal section test?

I do agree that wider reading is a good way to develop your vocabulary and all of the above. I just didn't think that many people set out with that specific aim in mind. It's admirable, but something I probably wouldn't do myself. Do you do any reading 'just for fun' Halcyon?

hatter said:
I do agree that wider reading is a good way to develop your vocabulary and all of the above. I just didn't think that many people set out with that specific aim in mind. It's admirable, but something I probably wouldn't do myself. Do you do any reading 'just for fun' Halcyon?
Oh yes, of course. Apparently there is a little debate on this forum about how to prepare for one of those tests. The ‘how to’ take verbal section books have lots of debate about it. Some would have you study just practice verbal tests. Others would tell you to read periodicals with intensity. But in the Princeton Review, they said the best way to develop is to read a large collection of books over the period of your lifetime. I’ve concluded that just reading everyday will help leaps and bounds. Of course, that’s just my opinion, and I really appreciate the other points of view – that’s why I asked.

These kinds of tests don't measure much of anything except how well you take tests. I found the classes to be the best way to learn the tricks, with the books second best if the classes aren't easily available or too expensive.

As for reading comprehension, I think many people try to rush everything too much, especially in a timed test environment. Don't be afraid to take a few extra seconds. Practice as much as you can with the tests that are available online or in the books so you don't get that rush of adrenaline that tells you to hurry.

This really depends on the type of book that you are reading. xD Like, I would approach a mystery much differently than I approach a short story collection.

I'm in school too, and so looking up words in the dictionary while I read has boosted my vocabulary immensely. Yeah, it can get kind of annoying, but I've taken to the practice of reading with my computer window opened to dictionary.com in order to be able to quickly look things up and continue reading.

I don't keep a journal, rather, I write all over my poor books. xD Notes, words, comments, thoughts-- its all right on the text. I don't highlight, but I do underline and circle things. It helps me keep track of what I'm doing and thinking, and helps me piece things together when reading things that don't just state everything for the reader.

An example of what I mean- this was the last short story I read. xD:
df7gr.png

Again, I wouldn't do this if reading 'Harry Potter', or a story where the plot is clear and this isn't really needed. But it's useful, and helps me a lot. :)

OK Halcyon, I found your other thread on 'are you good at reading' and I think I understand where you're coming from a bit better now.

I would say if you're reading for a test the main thing is to skim through and highlight what you think are the key points. Does the author have an over-riding argument that s/he is trying to make? What are the important pieces of evidence sited to support this argument? (This works for novels as well, you just have to think more laterally about what constitutes an argument and evidence sometimes.)

I don't think you need to read it three times or analyse every bit. Go back and read key statements or paragraphs by all means, and pick out a few quotes that you think sum up what the author is trying to say.

The really important thing, in my humble opinion, is having a strong stance yourself on the author's argument. If you disagree with them you might need to read further afield to support your stance.

History and English are all about arguments. You do need to be able to construct a decent sentence, and that's all about practice. Other than that you're basically trying to convince someone to see things from your perspective, so the more quotes or references that support what you're trying to say and the more passion you deliver it with, the more convincing you are.

Actually there is a method that one of my professors at University has taught that I have found helpful. When you get a book do a quick background check on the author and the book and get what the author is attempting to convey with the book. That way when you sit down to read it you will have a "framework" to help guide you through the book. (I borrowed the explanation from the professor) :p

That makes a lot of sense purplemyst. I often think a lot of the subtleties of a book are going over my head, and when you do know a bit about the author and the context in which they wrote a book you get so much more out of it.

So far, so fun...

I came up with an essay on the works of Iris Murdoch, written by Joyce Carol Oates.

Off I go again.

:)

StillILearn did you find out anything interesting about Iris Murdoch? I'm thinking about reading one of her books.

hatter said:
StillILearn did you find out anything interesting about Iris Murdoch? I'm thinking about reading one of her books.

I've read 4 or 5 Murdoch books. My favorite was The Philosopher's Pupil.

A couple of thoughts: the characters tend to be "mature", i.e., not young. You don't realize how unusual this is until you read a book in which many of the main characters are NOT between 15 and 35.

Her books are very dense and you don't know where she's taking you. There are lots of ideas sandwiched between the plotlines. There is often a philosophical discussion as an undercurrent.

There is something about her books that is almost like English magic realism--is that a complete impossiblity? Antithetical? Ha.

I can't really put my finger on it, but they have a strangeness. Definitely can be mind expanding, if you decide to work a little for it.

I have some answers for you :)

Well... first, let me tell you that as a new member on this site, I sure am GLAD I found this forum (It was only yesterday!)...
The kinda things you're talking about is exactly what I've been looking for... : )

I read books as well for the sake of enriching my vocabulary... Let me give you some sage advice... It is very recommended to learn not only the raw meaning of the word, but also to capture it in its context...
You said you're keeping a list of words to translate AFTER you finish the book... That's not advised...
If you want to get an active and wide vocabulary, you should see how the words relate in a sentence...
I know it might interfere with the reading experience - you should just weigh it down to see what's more important to you, enjoying it, or learning it...
I have a quictionary (A cool gadget that looks like a pen - you run it on the word you want translated, it scans it and tells you immediately what it means...)
Later (When I've finished the book) I memorize it and practice it... That's the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned...

I read everyday... Usually more than just before I go to sleep... I really love it, and it helps if the book it particularly interesting (Which is not always the case :( )

Please respond...

Ron.

I do keep a journal of vocabulary but I don't add english words. I usually just look up any words I don't know in the dictionary. Also I find that my vocabulary expands naturally just by enjoying what I read.

Back