• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Girlfriend's favorite book... help? =T

J.Kongie

*SORRY IF THIS IS A DUPLICATE POST*
I was sure i posted this but its not showing up on the thread list.

Hey guys.. I'm actually new to this forum but i was wondering if i could get some help hunting down a book.

Here's the situation.. A couple YEARS ago.. my girlfriend mysteriously came across a book, and, she being the avid book reader she is, opened it up and started reading it. The book is now her favorite book and she wanted me to read it.. but after trying to find it, she came to the conclusion that she must've lost it. I've never seen her so down before.. as if she suddenly had this void inside her. The thing is.. the book was so old and tattered that it was missing the author's name on the cover.. no publisher, nothing. She just mysteriously came across the book, and likewise, mysteriously lost the book.

The ONLY thing she knows about the book is that its called "Honestly". I don't believe its the one written by Gene Gach, because from what i've heard, she has also been looking frantically online for the book and the one by Gene Gach isn't too difficult to come across. The book is most likely out of print, and really rare. Furthermore, according to her it should be a TAN colored book.

Storyline: Here's all i know... Its a book about a girl, Cassie, and how she grows up with her dad. Her dad's name, she doesn't quite remember, but something starting with a "C", possibly Clarence or something along those lines.

She claims that the book is MAGICAL :D and that it's impossible to find.. but i'd love to see her face light up if i can find this book. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The best known online dealer of out-of-print books is probably Abebooks. I had searched the site, but none of the results matched your description of the book. You may see something I missed, though. Good luck with your search.

I second abebooks.com. You might also try Google Books and also the library catalog section of Google Books for hard-to-find books, but you can't sort the results.

By the way, why is your first post at "11th December 2006, 09:18 PM" and your second post at "Yesterday, 09:03 PM" (which would make it December 11th from where I am, but I am the first to admit that figuring out what time it is in other countries is, shall we say, not my strong point.)?

All of these books are wild guesses. I don't know the father's name or what the cover color is for any of these books. My best guess is Honestly, Katie John! because people who read the Katie John books are wildly enthusiastic about them.

Mary Calhoun, Honestly, Katie John!
"Katie John is an 11 year old girl with a lot of problems. At a street fair, she says she hates boys, but Edwin, who's a boy, is her best friend. And that's the beginning of a school year and a silly boy-haters club. At first, every girl belonged, then they started paying attention to the boys. Now Katie John is the lone wolf. Along with that trouble, she makes up with Edwin and then gets mad at him again. Then all the other problems just seem to come up."

Vivien Alcock, The Haunting of Cassie Palmer, 1980.
"Thirteen-year-old Cassie Palmer, the seventh child of a seventh child, has inherited the gift of second sight. Unsure whether or not she even believes in ghosts, Cassie heads to the cemetery to test her ability to communicate with the Other World. She starts with the departed spirit of a harmless child: CHARLOTTE EMMA ELIZABETH WEBB, BORN 1840 DIED 1847. But when a mysterious man appears, Cassie finds a new companion. Is he a gravedigger? A bum? Or did Cassie's inexperience cause her to bring back Charlotte's frightening neighbor: DEVERILL 1720 - 1762?"

Honestly
by Heather Gartshore - 1996

Honestly
Lauren, Linda
Publisher: London: New English Library (NEL), 1980

HONESTLY MUM
LAMB, KATHRYN
ISBN: 1853407143
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
Publication Date: 2004
"Amy is an only child leading a quiet and orderly life. But one day, Amy's mum gets hit head on the head by a cricket ball, and although she recovers, she is never the same again. She has become ruthlessly honest, speaking her mind at the wrong moment."

Honestly the Country!
Sheila Turner
Publisher: Macdonald, London
Publication Date: 1965
Illustrator: Edward Norrington
"An account of life in the Somerset countryside by a suburban 'housewife' told in diary form."

Oh Honestly Angela
Robinson, Nancy K
ISBN: 0590403826
Publisher: Scholastic Inc, New York NY
Publication Date: 1989

"The Steele family, who first appeared in Mom, You're Fired! (Scholastic, 1983) returns in this new novel. The Steeles find it hard to make ends meet at times, and Tina, 11, is sure that her family is the only one in the world without matching towels. A trip to the ballet, a fund raiser for the Rescue the Children Program, changes Tina's thinking. A poster of Theresa, a girl for whom there will be no Christmas unless she is "adopted," and the sight of a man rummaging through the garbage for food make Tina realize that there are people a lot worse off than her family. She and her brother scheme to raise the monthly payments necessary to adopt an orphan. Kindergartner Angela has her problems, also. She takes her favorite stuffed elephant to show and tell, only to find out that she is expected to donate it to the school's Christmas drive for the needy. The book has several humorous episodes; the one in which Angela mistakes cat and dog food for tuna and hash will particularly delight readers. There is an obvious message here: children should be aware of and feel responsible for those less fortunate."

QUITE HONESTLY
Mortimer, John
ISBN: 0141020903
Publisher: Penguin Books
Publication Date: 2006
"Lucinda Purefoy is young, well-connected and wants to 'pay her debt to society'. To that end she joins SCRAP (Social Carers, Reformers and Praeceptors), an organization that allows girls like Lucy to mentor ex-cons. Which is how she comes to meet a career burglar called Terry, on the street outside Wormword Scrubs. However, it is soon unclear who is proving to be a greater influence on whom."

TELL ME HONESTLY
GRAHAM, Sonia.
Publisher: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, GB
Publication Date: 1964

Honestly!: Two Stories
by Maureen Stewart, Teresa Culkin-Lawrence - 1996

Honestly
by Jaco Pastorius - 1991

Honestly!
by Kelly Doudna - 2007

WickedWitch, thanks for the extremeley thorough reponse.. But i've actually come across all of those and none turned out to be right EXCEPT:

Honestly
by Heather Gartshore - 1996

Would you be able to give me some more info regarding that book? or where you came across it? I tried googling (isnt it funny that "google" is now becoming a verb? hahah.. "Google it!") but came up with nothing.

The closest one so far was the one by Linda Lauren... but as it turns out, that book is actually called HonesTY not HonesTLY.. i got excited.. only to fall in the gutter. haha, in any case, thanks.

I found that book in Google books library search. I can't find any more information about the author or the title. Sorry.

National Library of Australia
Author: Gartshore, Heather.
Title: Honestly / Heather E. Gartshore.
Publisher: Croydon, N.S.W. : Heather E. Gartshore, 1996.
Description: [103] leaves ; 21 cm.
ISBN: 0646297619

Back