• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

God Does Play Dice with the Universe

quantummotion

A new popular science book reveals that God does play dice with the universe. The new discovery may finally solve Zeno’s paradoxes and the quantum puzzle.

Science has made a mighty advance since it originated in ancient Greece more than 2500 years ago. Yet we still live in Plato’s cave today; we think everything around us moves continuously, but continuous motion is merely a shadow of real motion. Now an unusual popular science book God Does Play Dice with the Universe, which has just been published, may lead us to walk out the cave along a logical and comprehensible road. After passing Zeno’s arrow, Newton’s inertia, Einstein’s light, and Schrödinger’s cat, the readers of the book will reach the real world, where every thing in the universe, whether it is an atom or a ball or even a star, ceaselessly jumps in a random and discontinuous way. In a famous metaphor, God does play dice with the universe. This reveals a startling new picture of the world, which Einstein could not believe but you can understand. The new discovery may finally solve Zeno’s paradoxes and the quantum puzzle. A single particle can indeed pass through two slits at the same time in the double-slit experiment. It needs not be divided, but only needs to move discontinuously. As the eminent quantum physicist Bernard d'Espagnat commented on the back cover of the book, “Its very existence is at any rate, an excellent illustration of the extent to which physical data force us to depart from commonsense ideas when we try to depict reality ‘as it really is’.” The book is now available on Amazon. More information can be found on the website quantummotion.org

schrodingers-lolcat.jpg

I like these quantum figures

If you have read the book, you will have a new understanding of the world around.

Some reviews of the book:

Its very existence is at any rate, an excellent illustration of the extent to which physical data force us to depart from commonsense ideas when we try to depict reality "as it really is".

--- Bernard d'Espagnat, University of Paris, Orsay

The idea of using discontinuous motion as a realist interpretation of quantum mechanics is original. If it can be made to work, it would add an interesting new ontology to our stock of quantum mechanical interpretations.

--- Reviewer of Foundations of Physics

I fully agree with your idea of discontinuous movement.

--- Antoine Suarez, Center for Quantum Philosophy, Zurich

If it goes through, this would be an original and significant contribution to the debate over the nature of motion.

---- Reviewer of American Philosophical Quarterly

Recently Gao Shan describes an approach that leads, we believe, to a more consistent logical interpretation of QM. We feel that Gao Shan has added a significant element to the Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics which is closer to our classical logic.

--- Naeem Jan, St. Francis Xavier University, Canada

A sense of relief at last! Gao has done it, with no metaphysics and magic. He seems to have no life-style to justify and no axe to grind against any belief system. Then pure physics and objectivity prevails.

--- Ph.D. Philip P. Benjamin

My brief CV

I graduated from the Institute of Electronics, Chinese Academy of Science in 1995. I am an independent theoretical physicist living in Beijing. My major interests are foundations of quantum theory, superluminal communication and quantum consciousness etc. The ideas in the book have been published in the professional journals such as International Journal of Theoretical Physics and Foundations of Physics etc. I have also published one English monograph Quantum Motion - Unveiling the Mysterious Quantum World and two other Chinese books. My first popular science book Quantum (in Chinese) has sold about ten thousands copies in China during the last four years... More information can be found on my website quantummotion.org

Nice one lads!still some ammunition left?

You should check the crime section "John Grisham: The Appeal" if you want some real scunk-no one isolated fellow-but something bigger!

The free draft of my book

Thank you, chuephödli. The free draft of my book can be downloaded from my website quantummotion.org. In short, the life of the cat depends on God's dice. It will finally live or die in a purely random way.

Excerpt of my book (1)

During my childhood, it had been a wonder for me that the twinkling stars strewed in the night sky don’t fall to the Earth. I had a strong desire to know the whys and wherefores. Later I found the answer in textbooks. It changed my picture of the universe. When I was an undergraduate, I was entranced by the deep mysteries of the atomic world. I was especially stunned by the fact that the commonsensible planetary picture of atoms turns out to be utterly false; the electron in an atom cannot rotate round the atomic nucleus as the Earth rotates round the sun, or else it would soon radiate its energy and fall into the nucleus, and as a result, my body composed of atoms would collapse in a blink. How does the electron move then? It must exist in the atom. It must move in some way there. But more surprisingly, textbooks provided no picture of the motion of an electron. On 22 August 1987, I wrote in my diary: “Is it really true that we have no way to describe the atomic processes as processes happening in space and time?” I could but search for the answer by myself. Then I started on a lonely journey to “trace” the elusive electron at the age of 16.

Back