• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

going tribal

ricky

there's this really great show on the discovery channel called going tribal, and for the life of me i cannot think of the hosts name, but it is tuesday nights at 10 pm. this guy goes into different tribes and immerses himself (if the tribe lets him) into their way of living. it is a really fascinating show. just wondering if anyone else has caught this?

ricky said:
there's this really great show on the discovery channel called going tribal, and for the life of me i cannot think of the hosts name, but it is tuesday nights at 10 pm. this guy goes into different tribes and immerses himself (if the tribe lets him) into their way of living. it is a really fascinating show. just wondering if anyone else has caught this?

dude's name is Bruce Perry.

I have avoided this as I have avoided all "reality" shows.

Thought maybe this thread would be about stripping to our loin cloths and running around the neighborhood shouting insanities and brandishing our spears.

maybe next time.

leckert, i am certainly not opposed to you in a loin cloth..in fact, i am enjoying the image right now... :D

but i am not a big fan of reality shows myself..but i stumbled across this and it is very interesting..more of a running documentary type show.

Sounds different and intriguing... but is it anthropologically valid? By that, I mean is bringing a camera crew teeming with diseases to which the tribe are potentially not immune and interferring with their traditional lifestyle appropriate? If the tribe doesn't want him there can they say, "Please don't show us on TV?" This would be a basic human right of any other person in, say, a Western society if you went up and knocked on the door of their home and asked to be made welcome and to live amongst them.

Just curious about this show's background.

ricky said:
leckert, i am certainly not opposed to you in a loin cloth..in fact, i am enjoying the image right now... :D

but i am not a big fan of reality shows myself..but i stumbled across this and it is very interesting..more of a running documentary type show.

How you doin'? :D :D

I hate reality shows. They just seem like a bunch of whiney asses bitching because someone doesn't like them or yadda-yadda-yadda. like someone gives a flying rat's ass!

I saw trailers for the show, and thought it might not be too bad, but haven't seen it.

Now that I know you are watching, maybe I'll check it out!

Grrrrr, baby!

Kookamoor said:
Sounds different and intriguing... but is it anthropologically valid? By that, I mean is bringing a camera crew teeming with diseases to which the tribe are potentially not immune and interferring with their traditional lifestyle appropriate? If the tribe doesn't want him there can they say, "Please don't show us on TV?" This would be a basic human right of any other person in, say, a Western society if you went up and knocked on the door of their home and asked to be made welcome and to live amongst them.

Just curious about this show's background.

background, schmackground! It's getting ratings, and it's cool! :D

(obvious sarcasm here, kook. I think you are making a great point, and most folks who don't live in a third world country wouldn't think of the impact such a thing would have on a tribe. And did you notice that Ricky is thinking of me in a loin cloth! She wants me, she knows she does! hum-un-a, hum-un-a, hum-un-a!)

kook...i am not really sure of the backround of the show..i just started watching it a couple of weeks ago. i did see one episode where it was quite a schmozel ( yes, that is a word ) for him to get into the tribe. they held him and his crew for a couple of hours while they decided to let them in or not. they have a translater (or is it or) with them to communicate with these tribes. some are more civilized as they are closer to cities than others and some are very, for lack of a better term, old school...traditional. most of the tribes are fascinated, or seem to be, with the cameras and all the white people and don't mind having them there. some are more traditional and during certain rituals and what not, ask the cameras to leave, which they do, obvioulsy out of respect for allowing them in in the first place.
i am also interested in finding out how he knew where to go and what parts of the countries to hit. i guess i should've done more research into the show... :eek:

and leckert.....oh yeah baby......

Hey, I'm just raising some questions because this was my first reaction. I've read a lot about the contact with the Yanomami tribe in Brazil, who were first contacted by Europeans in the 1970s, and were then decimated by disease and conflict. Moreover they were exploited within an inch of their lives by anthropologists and scientists alike who thought of them more as lab rats than human beings. Napolean Chagnon was a prime example of such a 'researcher'. As regards this program, I'm sure these tribes have received some contact before and it's not the same thing, but I still have doubts about whether this sort of endevour is entirely sound from a number of perspectives.

PS: Leckert and Ricky would you please put some clothes on before Wabbit catches you cavorting about like that.

PPS: Schmozel (or however it is spelt) is an *awesome* word which I use frequently (rather describes my life at times!). :D

kook...you make an awesome point, absolutely! you've given me a little side project to look this up and do some research!

i know.....sooner or later, someone will pull leckert and i out of the classroom for goofing off and possibly send us to the pricipals office! maybe we'll get detention leckert! ;)

Back