• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gollum's song

piedro

This is Gollum's song in the LOTR movie. i dont think it was in the book but i am not sure.
what do you think of it?

Where once was light
Now darkness falls

Where once was love
Love is no more

Don’t say good bye
Don’t say I didn’t try

These tears we cry
Are falling rain

For all the lies you told us
The hurt; the blame

And we will weep
To be so alone

We are lost
We can never go home.

So in the end
I’ll be what I will be

No Loyal friend
Was ever there for me

Now we say good bye
We say you didn’t try

These tears you cry
Have come too late

Take back the lies
The hurt; the blame

And you will weep
When you face the end alone

You are lost
You can never go home

You are lost
you can never go home

Sad....captures the dramatic change in him perfectly, I think. Actually kinda makes you feel sorry for him (of course, then the song ends and so does the sorrow). It shows how the ring truly made him an outcast from his "people," which drove him to have an even more insane devotion to the ring.

Very sad. I always felt sorry for him, I don't like him but I pity him, I always wanted Smeagol to win (though then the book would have a sad ending)

I love Gollum's Song - I was crying the first few times I heared it, but now I've sort of got accustomed to it. I love Emiliana Torrini's voice aswell. I couldn't imagine anyone else capturing the song so perfectly after hearing her. She's gorgeous aswell, as a matter of fact. I'm single, Emiliana, if you're out there. Can you hear me? I'm crying here.

It isn't in the book. But I absolutely love the song. It took a little getting used to, but now I think it's just gorgeous. All the LotR singles are. :)

Yeah, I love 'Into the West' aswell. That's the credits song for The Return of the King just incase you weren't sure. I just wish someone else had sung it though. I can't stand Annie Lennox! She's such a self-righteous, up-her-own-ass bimbo. I haven't decided who would knock her off her pedestal yet though. Maybe Ella Fitzgerald, if she's still alive. She's not is she? :confused: Hmm... I'm not an expert on good singers. Male or Female. Any suggestions dudes and dudettes?

I'm no Annie Lenox fan either, but I adore that song and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I love the song that Billy Boyd wrote and performed for "Return of the King", where he sings for Denethor. It makes me so sad. Pippin is my favourtie, and underappreciated i think :(

Amy_1984 said:
I love the song that Billy Boyd wrote and performed for "Return of the King", where he sings for Denethor. It makes me so sad. Pippin is my favourtie, and underappreciated i think :(

I assume you mean this song...

Home is behind
The world ahead.
And there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow,
To the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
Away shall fade
Away shall...fade.

So, so sad.

Billy Boyd didn't write that song - it's one of Tolkien's original verses from FotR when the Hobbits first leave the Shire.

It is in fact a walking song and with the rhythm The Tolkien Ensemble gave it it's amazingly cheerful.

I still don't get why it can be sad that mist, twilight, cloud and shade shall fade away - that's a good thing by all accounts. It's a cheery walking song... *sigh*

That's my major peeve with it. Boyd did it very well in the movie, but that text - it belongs somewhere else in the book and that confuses my feelings regarding the subject *grumbles*

As for Gollum's Song by Emiliana Torrini - I love it. It is so well-made and well-sung. It captures my image of Gollum so well and especially matches with the image TTT projected through his mounting schizophrenia. A Bravo for that one :D

Jemima Aslana said:
I still don't get why it can be sad that mist, twilight, cloud and shade shall fade away - that's a good thing by all accounts. It's a cheery walking song... *sigh*

In the context of the movie with the soldiers riding to meet a certain death, it becomes a dirge.

The track 'Erblicket die Töchter des Firmaments' / 'Beholding The Daughters Of The Firmament' by Burzum is something of an opposite to "Bilbo's song". Because of the references to immortality, darkness and a past life I'm guessing that it might be dedicated to Gollum.

"Burzum" happens to be an orcish word by the way.

"Bilbo's song"

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring