• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good books / bad books

clueless

My youngest daughter (11) has usually two books on the go: she reads one herself and I read another one to her. Of course I started reading to her before she learned to read and have continued because, although she is a very good reader, she likes the way I read to her, using different voices for each character (I hate to read books with lots of characters for that reason).

Recently she was reading Kidnapped and I decided to read to her The City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende. We lived in Spain for 3 years and she used to speak Spanish and be able to read it at the time, but she is losing it. I chose that book thinking that it might encourage her to keep up her Spanish. The reason to choose this particular book was that I did not know any Spanish children’s authors and that book was reviewed in English newspapers.

Result: She hated the book. I hated the book. I read half of it and still don’t know why we went so far. This book is everything a fiction book, specially a children’s one, should not be. The narrator spends most of the time preaching against the Amazon rainforest and its people. A good – well written – book would make readers realise this, make them see rather than telling them, speak more through the characters and the story itself and less through the narrator, avoiding heavy interludes that make the story progress very slowly. One of the characters has a sudden, implausible change of personality and opinions, etc. Language was not good either, although you will not notice if you read a translation.

By contrast, she loves Kidnapped, although she struggled a little bit with some words at the beginning, and it has made her ask me lots of questions about Scottish and UK history.

Oooh, I love reading in different voices. Well, if you don't, it's to your credit that you do it anyway for your daughter.

As for a good book to read, I recommend Journey to the River Sea by Ibbotson. It isn't Spanish and all that, but it does take place in the Amazon region.

I joined this site to find out about more books I could read! Anyway I recommend 'series of unfortunate events', once you've read this you won't ever pick up another 'Harry Potter' book! I also recommend 'Louis Sachar' he has other books other than holes that are equally as good!

Thank you for the recommendation, Mari.

I do like reading with different voices but it can be hard to remember which voice I gave to a particular character when it has disappeared for a few chapters and there are many different characters in the book. I can also be a bit tricky sometimes, for example trying to do the Texan accent for Lee Scoresby in Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials’.
It was also fun to see that the makers of the Lord of the Rings film imagined the same sort of voice for Golum as me.
I have started reading to her ‘Artemis Fowl: The Opal deception”, which is a safe bet. She loves those books.

I can recommend the books by Astrid Lindgren. They are wonderful childrens books. My mother used to read them to me when i was a child, and i loved each and every one of them. Now as a adult i find that these books encourage children to start reading. If interested i would recommend starting with "The brothers lionheart". A true classic of childrens books.

I still enjoy the stories today.

Zolipara said:
I can recommend the books by Astrid Lindgren. They are wonderful childrens books. My mother used to read them to me when i was a child, and i loved each and every one of them. Now as a adult i find that these books encourage children to start reading. If interested i would recommend starting with "The brothers lionheart". A true classic of childrens books.

I still enjoy the stories today.

I don't know the one you mention. I only read Pippy Longstockings. I think I could make a good enough impression of Mr. Nilsson

Its a story about two brothers, Karl and Jonathan. The story starts when Karl is told he is mortally sick, but his brother tells him he got nothing to worry about because when you die you come to the beautiful land of nangiala. But Jonathan dies soon after in a fire. The rest of the story takes place in Nangiala where the brothers are reunited. Nangiala isnt the paradise Jonathan promised it would be. A dragon and a evil warlord are terrorising the people living there. Jonathan is one of the leaders in the fight against the dragon and the evil warlord, and Karl is dragged into the fight when he is following his brother.

Its perhaps the best Lindgren book. Very emotional and a bit scary. Where Pippi longstockings is mostly just funny The brothers Lionheart is more of a adventure book, but it also deals with some deeper issues. There isnt many childrens book authors that would dare to kill the main character in the first chapter.

clueless said:
This book is everything a fiction book, specially a children’s one, should not be. The narrator spends most of the time preaching against the Amazon rainforest and its people. A good – well written – book would make readers realise this, make them see rather than telling them, speak more through the characters and the story itself and less through the narrator, avoiding heavy interludes that make the story progress very slowly.
Preaching against the rainforest and its people. Not for them?

Children's books usually seem to have a very straightforward approach in the sense that they're telling the readers what's right instead of letting the reader make own conclusions. Which I find very patronising.

clueless said:
I can also be a bit tricky sometimes, for example trying to do the Texan accent for Lee Scoresby in Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials’.
What voice did you do for the deamons? Some people believe that they always have been adult since they should be a kind of guide to their humans but I still got the impression that they mature in a similar pace as their humans so I thought that Pantalaimon had a rather squeaky voice.

I agree with the recommendation of "The Lionheart Brothers" though I find the theme of the book somewhat morbid.

Wolhay said:
Preaching against the rainforest and its people. Not for them?

Sorry, I meant against the destruction of the rainforest.

Yes, many children books are patronising, but this one had very long passages, sometimes 2 or 3 pages at a time. It got to a point where we could not care less about the characters or the story. I guess the author tried to jump on the children's book gravy waggon. I heard there is a second book out. It seems nobody writes single children books anymore. They all come in trilogies

I did demons' voices trying to ressemble animal calls, so Pantalaimon's voice would change every time he changed shape, but it was always a young animal. For example, when he took a lion shape, it would sound like a lion cub, rather than roaring.

Back