• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good home library cataloging software?

I don't know about websites, but for smartphone apps I am using Book Catalogue for android. I really like it, it does the job I need and syncs with goodreads.com (which I am just now trying out). I am not sure if this helps you at all, but I this has helped me a great deal organizing and cataloging my library.

We use Library Thing here, almost from its beginning. Since then other alternatives have appeared but we never felt the need to swiitch. Export/import capability is something I would look at, for flexibility in the future, in case you change your mind. And if you are paranoid (or simply realistic about quirky software) I would suggest keeping your lists in two separate places.

One of the excellent things about Library Thing IMO, is that they allow duplicates to be posted. What with our combined libraries, we have several hundred duplicates, either exact, or different versions of the same title.

I have noticed though when exporting books from LT (to Good Reads) not all made the jump. I still don't know why. Probably because GR didn't have any other of that title, or ISBN. Just not sure.

Good Reads doesn't allow duplicates, or they at least make it extremely difficult to do so.

Duplicates, like two of the exact same book with the same ISBN?

Exactly.
The combination of my husband's and my library caused some replications as we have very similar taste in books.

The thing about goodreads is they not only disallow exact duplicates, they disallow different versions of the same book. For example if one of us had a hardback copy of a book, and the other had a paperback, we can only list one of them.

For those who are looking for the offline cataloging program for Windows, I can recommend All My Books (sorry, the forum doesn't allow me to insert the link). I like how it fills the book details from Amazon automatically. I can also browse my collection on iPad with the special app.

I'm using Book Crawler in the iPad, and there isn't an Android app that comes close to what it could do. I don't love Book Crawler, but it has all the fields and flexibility that I need (like custom price - I don't buy on Amazon, yo!). On Android, after sampling as many book cataloguing software as I could stand (because my mobile is an Android, and the one I need to be absolutely perfect), is Codex. It's several notches below Book Crawler. :( But it has a better interface.

I will give Book Catalogue another go, as NateG says. When I evaluated it a year ago I really disliked its lack of options. Now I see GR integration, which is a win, I suppose.

My problem is I need to export my list of books from Book Crawler to the chosen Android app. It's not a painless task, and it also isn't very accurate.

Back