• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gore Vidal: Myra Breckinridge

Sybarite

Myra Breckinridge by Gore Vidal

"I'm Myra Breckinridge whom no man will ever possess."

So declares Gore Vidal's eponymous heroine – as bright a star as ever hung in the firmament; a goddess in the true Hollywood tradition, with a feisty determination to bringing down the old ideas of the sexes, of man as superior and woman as submissive.

Myra is determined, as no mere mortal can be determined, to leave her mark; to conquer and defeat men, and start a new age where women rule.

And her quest begins in LA, where she starts as a tutor at her "Uncle Buck's" academy for would-be stars. But between her classes in empathy and how to walk upright, Myra – two years a widow after the suicide of Myron – is also determined that former cowboy star Buck will give her the share of the inheritance that's her due, after the death of his mother.

And in the meantime, there's young wannabees Rusty and Mary-Ann Pringle to 'help' on their way to the top.

Will all her schemes come to fruition? Or will she be undone by a change of heart and an accident?

Very, very funny. Very, very naughty. Very, very camp. And very, very mischievous, Vidal satirises the Hollywood of the late '60s, and plays wonderful games with sex, gender and sexuality as he twists these conventions in all manner of directions and then watches the results with obvious relish.

Myra is, like Dame Edna, a monstrous creation and you read with a feeling almost of guilt in taking such pleasure in her escapades. Condemned as "filthy, bawdy, lewd and disgusting" by an Australian judge in 1970 and banned in that country, it remains a joyfully subversive book that follows the Vidalian theme of fluid sexuality.

An unmitigated delight (but probably not recommended for timid aunts or those of a prudish disposition).

Well, Gore Vidal supported himself during the '50s writing for Hollywood: he's one of the uncredited screenwriters of Ben-Hur. So I guess he'd have wonderful, sordid stories to tell about Tinsel Town. Some of his essays about this topic are hilarious.

As a prose writer, what do you think of Gore Vidal?

Well, Gore Vidal supported himself during the '50s writing for Hollywood: he's one of the uncredited screenwriters of Ben-Hur. So I guess he'd have wonderful, sordid stories to tell about Tinsel Town. Some of his essays about this topic are hilarious.

As a prose writer, what do you think of Gore Vidal?

I like his prose – this is the second novel that I've read (Live from Golgotha last year) and I've got Myron to come and Julian on order.

He's got a very light touch, a very wide vocabulary and there's an enjoyable (but not over the top) campness to his style.

Back