• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gothic Tales/Intellectual fodder

TravisNC

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Goth book to me. I don't mean the spiky black hair, nose-piercing type of goth. In fact, I can't even really think of a book that's a good example of what I'm after. I suppose that the closest thing to a description is this; I'm looking for the literary equivalent to "The Crow" or "Dark City" as far as the mood and tone and atmosphere of the writing is concerned. Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that's philisophical and intelligent without being pretentious. A trick that I've yet to manage, it seems.

I'm looking for the literary equivalent to "The Crow" or "Dark City" as far as the mood and tone and atmosphere of the writing is concerned.
The closest author I can think to this is Neil Gaiman, especially his Sandman graphic novel series (if you can be bothered with gn's).

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville has that sort of feel albeit with a taste of fantasy thrown in.

erm...How about Michael Marshall Smith, especially Spares.:)

Back