• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Grammar Bible

ions

Well is there such a thing? The english language can get pretty complimicated, :D, and learning to use it well and properly is probably a spiffy idea if you wish to be a writer correct? I searched and while I didn't explore any threads, sorry for my impudence, I didn't see any threads titled in a way that would indicate they answered my question: What is the grammar bible?

I have a book called the Writing Skills Handbook but it's audience is the university essay writer more than a tell all about grammar. It helps but sometimes I want something a little more specific and involved.

Hi ions,

The standard reference for grammar used by editors and writers in the US is Chicago Manual of Style, which has detailed examples of all kinds of punctuation placement, hyphenated word forms, and sentence structures. That said, depending on the kind of work, it's perfectly normal to accept incomplete sentences and unique expressions in essays and fiction. The unique markers of a writer's style often fall outside the strict boundaries of CMS. For instance, the writer Joe Klein is known for hyper-hyphenated phrases, which gave him away as the anonymous author of Primary Colors.

ions said:
Well is there such a thing? The english language can get pretty complimicated, :D, and learning to use it well and properly is probably a spiffy idea if you wish to be a writer correct?

If you want a fun, small, cheap and ubiquitous book, pick up a copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves", by Lynn Truss.

It couldn't hurt.

Grammar has a lot to do with word order and the logic of sentences. Double negatives and dangling modifiers are two examples of problems with grammar. Comma-splices and random capitalization are examples of problems with style.

A handy book that covers both grammar and style is Merriam-Webster's Guide to Punctuation and Style. Even though the title doesn't say so, it includes grammar issues as well.

The Chicago Manual of Style is a terrific book, and is the standard adopted by so many editors that it is as close to a bible as we're going to get. It covers very few points of grammar, however, which is a pity.

Fowler's English Usage was almost the bible for a while, but it's just too out of date. A new, overhauled edition is interesting because it is much more flexible about the rules. The days of absolute guides to grammar are over.

One more point: The submission guidelines from magazines and book publishers usually include information on their preferred style, and may site which guidebook they have adopted as their standard.

sometimes when you think about something and you think about it again you see you were wrong the first time I think that is what this means.
ArJohn said:
If you do not have a copy of this -- you can not call yourself a writer

novella said:
Hi ions,

The standard reference for grammar used by editors and writers in the US is Chicago Manual of Style, which has detailed examples of all kinds of punctuation placement, hyphenated word forms, and sentence structures.
The UK equivalent to this is probably The Times Writers' Guide.

can, all of you help me to know how to use commas and periods I think I am right but my english teacher told me to read the elementary dictionary to help me get a better grade in class it has a bright red cover but I do not know what it does can you help me.

I, still don't understand your explanation. can you please explain to me how to use commas, and periods right please help I think my letters are easy to understand.
StillILearn said:
Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Small funny, and concise. That's all, the best help I can offer myself.

:D

bobbyburns said:
that, sounds budist (sp?) leckert. my mom says that if I turn away from jesus I'll never make it to heaven.

Only by turning away, can you turn at all. Bad grammar, not the love of money, is the root of all evil!

you, are wrong. it's not likew e have to spell every word right all I was saying was that run on sentences without commas, and periods are something we should think about. my mom says that instincts are bad. that's why she slaps my hand when I look at pictures on the computer.

Back