• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Great/Good Adaptations

SeoulMan

I know there's a thread on Adaptations of Classic books into movies:

http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/film-tv/15113-classic-books-into-good-movies.html

However, I wanted to open this up to something broader. Great or very good adaptations of any book into a movie or TV series.

"Remains of the Day" is very faithful to the Ishiguro novel. Remarkably so.

"Atonement" loses some of the detail, but I was surprised how faithful it turned out to be. I was wondering how they would show the twist at the end and I thought they did a good job.

"House of Mirth" was very good, but I thought it suffered from some serious miscasting of Gillian Anderson as Lily Bart and Eric Stoltz as that guy, I forgot his name.

Needless to say, the BBC "Pride and Prejudice" was excellent. Jennifer Ehle was how I pictured Elizabeth Bennett. I can't picture Keira Knightley (and her tubularly-altered lips) as Elizabeth Bennett. I'm sorry, but I can't. Never.

I think Madame Sousatzka was greatly improved in the transition from book to movie.

I loved the TV adaptation of Mapp and Lucia.

So far I must say I haven't seen an adaptation of Rebecca that does justice to the book.

Not really a "classic" novel, but the film adaptation of Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs was very good indeed.

The 1946 version of The Big Sleep is a classic in its own right.

I'd agree about Remains of the Day.

The film version of EM Forster's A Room With a View is excellent (I cannot hear Kiri Te Kanawa singing O Caro Mio Bambino without thinking of it).

Visconti's film of Thomas Mann's Death in Venice is an extraordinary achievement – it makes some subtle alterations (turning the main character from a writer to a composer, for instance), but captures something of Mann's incredibly complex novella. And the use of the Adagietto from Mahler's fifth symphony was inspired.

I love the adaptations of the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. I'd rather watch them than read the books, I think.

Back